The Original Maserati A6 Road Car; One of Only 61 Examples Built
Provenance Includes Winemaker Vittorio Giol and American Racer Lem Ladd
Restored in Original Color Scheme; Retains Matching-Numbers Engine
Offered with Extensive History File, Adolfo Orsi Report, FIVA, ACI, and Maserati Club Italy Documents
Eligible for the Finest International Events Including the Mille Miglia
1,488 CC SOHC Inline 6-Cylinder Engine
Single Weber Carburetor
65 HP at 4,700 RPM
4-Speed Manual Gearbox
4-Wheel Hydraulic Drum Brakes
Independent Coil-Spring Front Suspension
Live Rear Axle with Coil Springs
Vittorio Giol, San Polo di Piave, Italy (acquired new in 1949)
Lemuel Ladd, Boston, Massachusetts (acquired from the above in 1953)
David Chopourian, Billerica, Massachusetts (acquired from the above in 1963)
Pier Angelo Masselli, Rio Saliceto, Italy (acquired in 2003)
Peter Wiesner, Ebenau, Austria (acquired from the above in 2012)
Peter Fodor, Los Angeles, California (acquired from the above in 2013)
Current Owner (acquired from the above)
At the 1947 Geneva Auto Show, Maserati unveiled the all-new Tipo A6, named for company founder Alfieri Maserati and the car’s six-cylinder engine. Built on an advanced tube-frame chassis and powered by an overhead camshaft engine, the prototype A6/1500 was a coupe, with coachwork designed and built by Carrozzeria Pinin Farina. The definitive version of the model appeared in 1948 and was met with a favorable response, praised for its brilliant engine, excellent road holding, and modern styling.
The introduction of the A6 ushered in a new era for Maserati, as it was the company’s first true production car. In total, just 61 examples of the original A6/1500 were built; all but two were clothed in elegant aluminum coachwork by Pinin Farina.
The history of the A6/1500 Coupe presented here begins in September 1948, when chassis 078 was shipped from Modena to Carrozzeria Pinin Farina in Torino. Completed in April 1949, the Maserati Coupe was finished in Blu Scuro (Dark Blue) with the interior upholstered in red leather and cloth. On May 3, 1949, the new A6/1500 was delivered to its first owner, Vittorio Giol.
A wealthy landowner and winemaker living in San Polo di Piave, Sig. Giol was not the only member of his family with an appreciation for Maserati automobiles. His brother Americo purchased his own A6/1500 Pinin Farina Coupe, chassis 059, which was originally finished in dark red and delivered in July 1949. It is believed that Sig. Giol retained 078 until 1953, when it was sold to Lemuel Ladd, an American living in Munich, Germany.
An important figure in East Coast sports car racing, Lem Ladd was an active member of the Automobile Racing Club of America, an early road racing organization that included automotive luminaries such as the Collier Brothers, Briggs Cunningham, and George Rand. Before WWII, Ladd owned the Oak Hill Garage, Boston’s leading foreign car specialist, and participated in ARCA races with a sports car of his own design – a V-8 powered special called the Old Grey Mare.
Ladd eventually returned to the US, bringing the Maserati with him. After Ladd passed away in 1963, David Chopourian of Billerica, Massachusetts, purchased the A6 from the estate and drove it for several months until the timing chain failed, resulting in four decades of static storage.
Finally in 2003, Mr. Chopourian advertised the Maserati for sale in Hemmings Motor News, describing it as a “garage find needing full restoration.” From there, the A6 returned to Europe and was later sold to Pier Angelo Masselli of Rio Saliceto, Italy. During his ownership, 078 was entrusted to Bluccino di Baldoni Luciano in Ravenna, Italy, who performed a complete ground-up restoration, addressing all cosmetic and mechanical aspects. The restoration is well documented, with an accompanying file containing hundreds of photos detailing the entire process. In an effort to improve driveability, a modern five-speed gearbox has since been installed, though the original four-speed Maserati unit accompanies the sale of the car.
Upon completion in fall 2011, 078 was registered with the Maserati Club of Italy (certificate number 162) and shown on the Bluccino display stand at Auto e Moto d’Epoca in Padova, Italy. In 2012, the Maserati was sold to Austrian dealer Peter Wiesner and, in his care, received a FIVA Identity Card with the desirable A3 classification. The following year, the A6/1500 Coupe was acquired by Dr. Peter Fodor, a Los Angeles-based collector, who entered the car in the 2013 Mille Miglia Storica and displayed it at The Quail, A Motorsports Gathering, in August 2014, where it was included in a special class celebrating the Maserati centenary.
With a well-documented provenance, recent professional restoration, and authentic presentation, this A6/1500 Coupe is a superb example of the marque’s first production model. Here is an exciting opportunity for collectors to acquire an important Italian sports car that can serve as the ticket to the most exclusive historic events and also complete an otherwise comprehensive collection of Maseratis.