Last updated September 14, 2017
The Information Gooding & Company Collects:
- User-Provided Personal Information: When using the Site, such as when you submit a contact us form, make a purchase, register for auctions, or submit absentee bids, you may provide to Gooding what is generally called Personally Identifiable Information (“Personally Identifiable Information”), such as drivers license number, passport number, dealer or reseller license numbers, bank account numbers and branch information, credit card numbers, physical and electronic address, phone and fax numbers, and the like. As used in this Policy, Personal Identifiable Information is information that can be used to specifically identify an individual, such as an individual’s name, address, telephone number, or e-mail address.
- “Cookies” Information: When you use the Site, we may send one or more cookies – small text files containing a string of alphanumeric characters – to your computer. Gooding may use both session cookies and persistent cookies. A session cookie disappears after you close your browser. A persistent cookie remains after you close your browser and may be used by your browser on subsequent visits to the Site. Persistent cookies can be removed. Please review your web browser “Help” file to learn the proper way to modify your cookie settings. Please note that if you delete, or choose not to accept, cookies from the Site, you may not be able to utilize the features of the Site to their fullest potential.
- “Automatically Collected” Information: When you use the Site or open one of our HTML emails, we may automatically record certain information from your web browser and/or email client by using different types of technology, including standard logging, “clear gifs” or “web beacons.” This “automatically collected” information may include Internet Protocol address or other device address or ID, web browser and/or device type and operating system, the web pages or sites that you visit just before or just after the Site, the pages you view on the Site, and the dates and times that you visit, access, or use the Site.
The Way Gooding & Company Uses Information:
The Site is highly personalized, and we use your Personally Identifiable Information in a variety of ways in the operation of our business, such as:
- By submitting financial information in a registration or absentee bidding form, you are expressly authorizing Gooding to uses such information, alone or in combination with other Personally Identifiable Information, for the purpose of verifying available credit for purchases at the auction, including by contacting your financial institution and/or card issuer to verify account balances and available credit.
- Gooding also uses the information you provide or that we collect to operate, maintain, enhance, and provide all of the features and services found on the Site. We will use your email address to contact you for administrative purposes, for customer service purposes, or regarding any of your submissions (such as registration and absentee bidder form submissions).
- Gooding uses Personally Identifiable Information to personalize you experience of the Site. For example, when you log back in, we may welcome you back to the Site by name, present you with a customized user interface, or recommend features or content on the Site we think you may be interested in.
- Gooding uses Personally Identifiable Information to contact you for administrative or informational purposes, such as to communicate with you regarding the status of your registration application, or to notify you of changes to the Terms or to the details of an Auction, such as a modification to a listing in the catalog.
- Gooding uses all of the information that you provide or that we collect and/or aggregate to understand and analyze the usage trends, interests, and preferences of our users, to improve the way the Site works and looks, and to create new features and functionality.
- Gooding may use “automatically collected” information and “cookies” information to: (a) personalize our services, such as remembering your information so that you will not have to re-enter it during your visit or the next time you visit the Site; (b) provide customized third party advertisements, content, and information; (c) monitor and analyze the effectiveness of Gooding and third party marketing activities; (d) monitor aggregate usage metrics such as total number of visitors, pages viewed, etc.; and (e) track your entries, submissions, and status in any promotions or other activities.
- Gooding may use your email address or other Personally Identifiable Information to send promotional email related to the Site we think you may be interested in. You may have the ability to opt-out of receiving some of these communications by updating your account settings through the Site or clicking on links embedded in such messages.
When Gooding Discloses Information:
We are not in the business of selling your information. We do, however, need to disclose your Personally Identifiable Information in a variety of circumstances in the ordinary course of operating our business, such as:
- Gooding works with third party service providers to provide website and application development, hosting, and maintenance as well as other services for us. To the extent it is necessary for these service providers to complete their contractual obligations to Gooding, these third parties may have access to or process your personally identifiable information. Generally, these disclosures are made under terms comparable to this policy, and the recipients are limited to using the information the purpose for which it was provided.
- The Site allows you to link accounts with third party services and push certain information regarding your use of the Site to such third party service provider. The third party operating the Linked Account will have access to your Personally Identifiable Information for this purpose.
- Gooding may contact the bank you identify, or the issuer of your credit card, in order to verify that you have sufficient account balances and/or available credit for purchases at auctions, and in such cases Gooding will share your applicable Personally Identifiable Information with such third parties to the extent reasonably necessary for the purposes of conducting such verification.
- Gooding may make certain automatically collected and other aggregate non-Personally-Identifiable Information available to third parties to assist such parties in understanding our users’ interests, habits, and usage patterns for certain programs, content, services, advertisements, promotions, and/or functionality available through the Site.
- Gooding may also disclose your information if required to do so by law or in the good-faith belief that such action is necessary to comply with state and federal laws, or in response to a court order, judicial or other government subpoena or warrant, or to otherwise cooperate with investigative or law enforcement activity. Gooding also reserves the right to disclose information that we believe is appropriate or necessary to take precautions against liability; to protect Gooding and others from fraudulent, abusive, unlawful, or otherwise inappropriate uses or misuse of the Site; to investigate and defend ourselves against any third party claims or allegations; to assist government enforcement agencies; to protect the security or integrity of the Site; or to protect the rights, property, security, and/or safety of Gooding, our users, or others.
You may, of course, decline to share certain Personally Identifiable Information with Gooding, in which case Gooding may not be able to provide to you some of the features and functionality found on the Site. You may update, correct, or delete your profile information and preferences at any time by accessing your account preferences page through the Site. Please note that while your changes may be reflected promptly in active user databases, we may retain all information you submit for a variety of purposes, including backups and archiving, prevention of fraud and abuse, and analytics.
To protect your privacy and security, we take steps to verify your identity before granting you account access or making corrections to your information. You are responsible for maintaining the secrecy of your unique password and account information at all times.
Gooding uses certain physical, managerial, and technical safeguards designed to help improve the integrity and security of your Personally Identifiable Information. Nevertheless, no physical or technical system, process, transmission, or storage mechanism is completely secure or immune from outages, losses, attacks, circumvention, design or implementation flaws, and human error. Therefore, we cannot and do not ensure or warrant that information you transmit to Gooding will not be lost, accessed, or compromised, either during or after transmission.
If Gooding learns of a security systems breach, then we may attempt to notify you electronically so that you can take appropriate protective steps. Gooding may post a notice through the Site if a security breach occurs. Depending on where you live, you may have a legal right to receive notice of a security breach in writing. To receive a free written notice of a security breach you should notify us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Site is hosted in the United States and is intended for visitors located within the United States. If you nonetheless choose to use the Site from the European Union or other regions of the world with laws governing data collection and use that may differ from U.S. law, then please note that you are transferring your Personally Identifiable Information outside of those regions to the United States for storage and processing and by providing your Personally Identifiable Information on the Site you consent to that transfer, storage, and processing.
In the Event of Merger or Sale:
In the event that all or a portion of Gooding or its assets is acquired by or merged with a third party entity, we reserve the right, in any of these circumstances, to transfer or assign the information that we have collected from users in connection with such merger, acquisition, sale, or other change of control.