Auctions and Brokerage
Wolfe automobiles were produced in Minnesota by the H.E. Wilcox Motor Car Company from 1907 to 1909. This rare example is one of only 30 Wolfe cars believed to have been made in 1907, and it retailed new for the lofty sum of $1,800.
This lovely Wolfe touring car has been treated to an extensive, high-quality restoration. Jim Holcomb, then chief mechanic at the executive garage at GM headquarters, spent five years on the project, which was completed in 2010. The Wolfe was driven sparingly for the next few years before being placed in dry storage until recently, when it was brought back to running condition once again. Further mechanical sorting may be necessary before serious use. Restoration attention to detail is present in the Wolfe’s gleaming brass radiator shell, its headlights and fixtures, and its glossy red paint. The 24 hp, four-cylinder engine is powerful for the era, making the Wolfe an excellent candidate for horseless carriage tours with room enough to accommodate the driver and four companions.
The proceeds of this sale will go to benefit cancer research at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle. Harry Pearce, former vice chairman of General Motors, donated the Wolfe to the center to recognize and support the facility’s cutting-edge research to better prevent, detect, and treat cancer. Mr. Pearce also sought to honor his treating physician at the center, Dr. Fred Appelbaum.