Auctions and Brokerage
Tom Paley, Rockland County, New York (acquired in the 1950s)Thomas Welles, Coventry, Connecticut (acquired from the above in 1965)Gerald Lettieri, Rocky Hill, Connecticut (acquired from the above in 1985)Robert and Jack McGowan, Rocky Hill, Connecticut (acquired from the above in 1986)Joseph “Jack” Burrone, Branford, Connecticut (acquired from the above in 1990)Current Owner (acquired from the above in 2006)
CCCA Grand Classic, Amelia Island, 2007 (First Place)Amelia Island Concours d’Elegance, 2007 (Class Win)Ocean Reef Club Vintage Weekend, Florida, 2007 (Best of Show – Pre-WWII)CCCA Big Sky CARavan, Montana, 2008 (Crossett Award)Lincoln Owners Club National Meet, Indiana, 2009 (Best of Show)CCCA Grand Classic, Michigan, 2010 (First Place)CCCA Museum Experience, Michigan, 2010 (Class Award)Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance®, 2013CCCA Grand Classic, Indiana, 2014 (First Place)
Lincoln entered the multicylinder market in 1932 with its 12-cylinder KB, which is still regarded as the firm’s finest offering. While three-quarters of KB production that year carried in-house Lincoln bodies, custom coachwork was available for the discerning client, and just 23 chassis were fitted with Judkins’ elegant coupe coachwork, including the example offered here.
Mechanically, the KB paired Lincoln’s 448 CID 12-cylinder engine producing 150 hp with a generous 145" wheelbase chassis, the ideal platform for custom coachwork. Catalogued as design no. 244, the Judkins Coupe was described as “a distinctly personal car for the owner-driver,” priced at a lofty $5,350.
This example features the rumble-seat configuration, affording accommodations for two additional passengers. The build sheet indicates a ship date of March 16, 1932, and while its original owner is unknown, during the 1950s, the car was owned by Tom Paley of Rockland County, New York. After a series of other owners, Joseph “Jack” Burrone of Branford, Connecticut acquired this Lincoln in 1990 and entrusted Spero Klapes with its restoration in the late 1990s. Favoring authenticity and attention to detail, the multiyear restoration finally was completed in 2004. Mr. Burrone parted with the car in 2006, and its current owner, a longtime Lincoln aficionado, has shown and toured with this KB Coupe for over a decade, consistently garnering awards validating the quality of its restoration.
At its maiden judged event in March 2007, it scored 99.25 points and a First Place in CCCA judging, earning senior badge no. 2786, followed by a class win at the Amelia Island Concours d’Elegance that same weekend. Its touring prowess was demonstrated in 2008 during an 1,100-mile tour through Montana, where it was recognized with the Crossett Award, presented to the best classic car that successfully completed its first CCCA tour. One year later, it won Best of Show and long-distance honors at the 2009 Lincoln Owners Club National Meet. Subsequent CCCA wins followed in 2010 and 2014, in which the Lincoln never scored less than 99.25 points. In 2013, this KB was one of a select number of motorcars curated for the Lincoln Custom Coachwork V-12 featured classes at the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance®.
This coupe is finished in Dover Gray accented with a black leather top. Inside, gray wool fabric complements the paintwork with the rumble seat upholstered in black leather. Accessories include side-mount mirrors, and the car is accompanied by its tool kit.
Just five 1932 KB Judkins coupes are currently known to the Lincoln Owners Club and the CCCA. This Lincoln’s next owner can seek to continue its long string of victories on the show field or enjoy it on journeys along the open road.