Auctions and Brokerage
Coachwork by Brewster & Co.
Formerly the Property of Jack Frost, Richard Atwell, and William B. Ruger Jr.
The Phantom II
Introduced in September 1929, the Phantom II was the last chassis type produced before Sir Frederick Henry Royce, OBE, died in 1933. The new lowered chassis, with a distinctive radiator shell placed directly above the front axle, allowed for a long bonnet measuring nearly half the entire body length. These impressively elegant, yet sporting, cars defined the 1930s Classic Era.
Much faster than any previous Rolls-Royce, despite its three tons, the Phantom II is a favored car for vintage car tours and, if properly maintained, may be driven at sustained high speeds in comfort and reasonable reliability considering its 80+ years of age.
Rolls-Royce sent its last Phantom IIs to America in left-hand-drive configuration with an American-style center gearchange lever. The chassis number series, AJS and AMS, were identified by the “A,” as in “America.” All of this series was built at the factory in Derby. Production of the Phantom II ceased in 1935.
Believedtobeoneofonly113left-hand-drive, British-built, American-bodied Phantom IIs, this Rolls-Royce appears to be one of only seven Brewster Sport Sedans. This appealing car unites the finest British engineering with matchless American style. Despite its considerable size, the close-coupled, balanced body design appears almost coupe-like, yet offers passengers the convenience of a four-door sedan.
Brewster & Co. was located on Long Island, New York, and renowned for its superior quality, innovative design, and consistently fine work. Brewster was the favored body supplier for the American Rolls-Royce Works in Springfield, Massachusetts, and its unequaled designs have stood the test of time. Design cues include its rear-hinged front doors, raked windshields, “Trilin” taillamps, mahogany running boards, double-flat bar bumpers, andtidy,straightforwardinstrumentpanels— Brewster hallmarks that were widely copied by covetous coachbuilders in the 1930s.
Delivered new in 1933 to E.L. King, this exceptional Rolls-Royce has been under the care of several knowledgeable and responsible owners including the popular Rolls-Royce enthusiast Jack Frost who kept it nearly 30 years, during which time it won a series of Best in Class and Best in Show trophies at Rolls-Royce Owners’ Club meets throughout the US. It then joined the highly regarded Atwell Collection in Texas, where it remained until it was purchased in 2003 by well-known fine car collector and firearms manufacturer William B. Ruger Jr., who owned it for another 10 years. The complete ownership history of this significant Phantom II is archived with the RROC.
Though consistently maintained as befits an important Rolls-Royce, this example was recently refinished in period-correct gleaming Mason’s Black paint, padded black roof, tan leather interior, blackwall tires, painted and polished Ace wheel discs, and refreshed brightwork. The driveline and chassis also received professional mechanical attention.
This rare, left-hand-drive, matching-numbers Rolls-Royce Phantom II is now available to be enjoyed, driven, and shown. It is fully qualified to take its place as the cornerstone of any fine motorcar collection.