Auctions and Brokerage
Coachwork by Park Ward
Hector Mackay Esq., Sutherland, Scotland (acquired new in 1935)Dr. Kennedy, Kent, England (acquired from the above in 1939)Eric N. Shrubsole, Millbrook, New York (acquired by 1975)Crawford Auto Aviation Museum, Cleveland, Ohio (acquired from the above in 1980)George Howell, Elmira, New York (acquired from the above in 1999)Current Owner (acquired from the estate of the above)
Amelia Island Concours d’Elegance, March 2007 (Amelia Award)
An attractive and meticulously restored Derby Bentley, this handsome 3 1/2 Litre Park Ward Drophead Coupe was originally ordered by Hector Mackay Esq., of Sutherland, Scotland. Mr. Mackay placed an order for a new Bentley in October 1934 and this car, chassis B66DG, was delivered to him on March 16, 1935. According to factory records provided by the Rolls-Royce Foundation, the Park Ward body, numbered A158, was originally finished just as it presents today – in two shades of red with brown leather upholstery and a grey canvas top.
B66DG remained in Mr. Mackay’s ownership until February 1939, when it was sold to Dr. Kennedy of Kent, England. Eventually, the Bentley was exported to the US and, by the mid-1970s, it was owned by Eric Shrubsole of Millbrook, New York. Mr. Shrubsole, a collector and member of the Rolls-Royce Owners’ Club, restored the Bentley and retained it until January 1980, when ownership transferred to the Crawford Auto Aviation Museum, part of the Western Reserve Historical Society in Cleveland, Ohio. The Park Ward Drophead Coupe remained a fixture in the museum collection for nearly two decades before being de-accessioned in fall 1999.
The Bentley was then purchased by George Howell of Elmira, New York, who commissioned highly regarded Rolls-Royce and Bentley specialist Robert Jefferson’s Sports Classic Ltd. in Brookfield, Massachusetts, to perform a complete, concours-quality restoration. During this process, the 3 1/2 Litre was disassembled to the bare chassis so that every system and component could be properly addressed.
While Mr. Jefferson oversaw the overall disassembly, mechanical rebuild, and final assembly, another respected firm, Enfield Auto Restorations of Connecticut, was enlisted to undertake the paint and upholstery work. All aspects of the restoration were completed to show-quality standards with tremendous attention to authentic detail throughout. An impressive file of invoices from Sports Classic and Enfield Auto Restorations is included with the sale of B66DG and provides insight into the exacting nature of the restoration performed over a seven-year period.
Completed in early 2007, the Bentley Drophead Coupe made its debut at the prestigious Amelia Island Concours d’Elegance in March, where it earned an Amelia Award in the Bentley Pre-War Class. Since its successful showing in Florida, B66DG has participated in a variety of Bentley Drivers Club and Rolls-Royce Owners’ Club events. As would be expected of such a superb Derby Bentley, various road and hand tools, technical manuals, and a thorough file containing the aforementioned restoration invoices and historical records accompany the sale of B66DG. Today, the Bentley continues to present beautifully and would be an ideal candidate for both concours d’elegance and open touring.