Auctions and Brokerage
Coachwork by Gangloff
Jean and Paul d’Aubarède, Lyon, France (acquired new in 1938)Unknown Owner (acquired circa 1944)Henri Malartre, Lyon, France (acquired mid-1950s)Jean-Louis du Montant, Eymoutiers, Haute Vienne, France (acquired from the above in 1957)Dr. Richard Roger, Beverly Hills, California (acquired from the above in 1963)Gary W. Tiscornia, Milford, Michigan (acquired from the above in 1978)Blackhawk Collection, Danville, California (acquired from the above in 1999)Bob Pond, Palm Springs, California (acquired from the above in 2000)Michael Zarabi, Los Angeles, California (acquired from the above in 2013)Greg Manocherian, Pound Ridge, New York (acquired from the above in 2014)Current Owner (acquired from the above)
Montefiori Concours d’Elegance, Sag Bridge, Illinois, 1989 (Best in Class)CCCA Grand Classic, Dearborn, Michigan, 1989 (First Place)Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance®, California, 1989 (First in Class)CCCA Annual Meeting, Palm Beach, Florida, 1990 (First Place)CCCA Midwest Grand Classic, Minneapolis, Minnesota, 1990 (First Place)CCCA Senior Car Experience, Hickory Corners, Michigan, 1991 (Best Open Car)
Making its debut in 1934, the Type 57 was the masterful creation of Ettore Bugatti’s son, Jean, and was the company’s most successful road-going model, with over 700 built in total. In 1937, the French automaker introduced the supercharged 57C model with a stiffer frame, rubber-mounted engine, and a Roots-type compressor, running at 1.17 times engine speed. With a 5–6 psi boost, the straight eight produced 160 bhp, an astonishing figure at the time for a high-revving three-liter. Fitted with lightweight bodywork, close to 120 mph was possible. Only 96 of these exceptional thoroughbred chassis were delivered new by the Molsheim factory.
In December 1937, Bugatti shipped chassis 57597 with supercharged engine 18C to Carrosserie Gangloff in Colmar in northeastern France, close to the German border. The commission specified the beautiful and rare round-tail design that is often seen on the Jean Bugatti-designed Atalante but is rare on a Stelvio. The specification included late-design integral-mounted headlamps in the front fenders. The finished car was delivered by the Bugatti dealership in Lyon on February 1, 1938, registered with plate no. 4090 PF4, to Jean d’Aubarède and his brother Paul, both of whom resided in Lyon.
By 1957, the car was re-registered in Lyon with plate no. 3644 Z 69 to the famous car collector Henri Malartre, who is credited with saving scores of significant European cars from dismantling, and whose museum collection at his château in Rochetaillée-sur-Saône still exists. The equally famous dealer and Bugatti hunter Jean-Louis du Montant of Eymoutiers in western France acquired 57597 from M. Malartre sometime in 1957. It is likely that the car received its current supercharged engine no. 82C from Type 57 chassis 57809 during this time, as Mr. du Montant had owned both cars.
Dr. Richard Roger, a cardiologist in Southern California, purchased 57597 in May 1963, keeping it for 15 years before selling it to Gary W. Tiscornia of Milford, Michigan, in 1978. Mr. Tiscornia commissioned a full restoration that was performed by Bob Lorkowski at L’Cars Automotive Specialties in Cameron, Wisconsin, while the mechanical restoration was carried out by the renowned California Bugattist O.A. “Bunny” Phillips. The restoration was completed in 1988, in time to make its debut at the Montefiori Concours d’Elegance, near Chicago, where the Bugatti won its class amid formidable competition. At that show, the Stelvio was personally invited by co-chairman Lorin Tryon to the 1989 Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance®, where it also was awarded First in Class. The car also received three 100-point scores at various CCCA events around the country. In 1999, after 21 years of ownership, Mr. Tiscornia sold the 57C to the Blackhawk Collection, who in turn sold it to noted collector Bob Pond in September 2000, and there it became a centerpiece of his voluminous collection. Mr. Pond maintained and preserved the Bugatti’s show-winning restoration until his collection was sold by his estate in 2013.
In 2014, Bugatti enthusiast Greg Manocherian acquired 57597 and retained marque experts Sargent Metal Works of Bradford, Vermont, to perform a major refurbishment. The engine and induction system were removed from the car, internally cleaned and thoroughly serviced, with new water jacket plates and clutch. The coachwork acquired its highly attractive two-tone color scheme, and proper “moustache” bumpers were fitted, enhancing the Bugatti’s captivating design. As the work, with receipts totaling nearly $130,000, drew to a close, the Stelvio was acquired by the consignor, who has since driven it in motoring events in the UK.
This example is among the 96 Type 57 chassis that were fitted with a supercharger by the factory. Featuring elegant open Gangloff coachwork, marked by its heavily raked windshield and Atalante-style rear treatment, as well as its excellent road manners, 57597 may well be the quintessential grande routière. The sum total is a sporting classic of the highest order, as exciting as it is beautiful, as elegant as it is thrilling to drive.