Auctions and Brokerage
In 2003, this exceptional 1941 Zephyr was invited to be a display car at Ford Motor Company’s 100th Anniversary Celebration – a tribute to this particular car and to the model, considered a standard-bearer of the Art Deco era. This car’s Henry Ford Museum Certificate states that it was delivered on February 5, 1941, and came complete with gold-plated hardware, painted wood-grained instrument panel, and shadow-striped broadcloth wool upholstery.
Little is known about the Zephyr’s earliest years; however, by 1951, Harold Girton, a retired mechanic, acquired the car. By 1976, the Zephyr sat in a brickyard in Gering, Nebraska, seemingly abandoned. That’s when Bill Fobair found and purchased it; on the advice of Charles Imboden, then president of the Lincoln-Zephyr Owners Club, Mr. Fobair sponsored an extensive, fully documented frame-up restoration.
Under the ownership of an enthusiast from 2012 to 2016, a show-level coat of black paint – its original color – was added, new cloth upholstery was installed, and the instrument panel was refinished. The Zephyr subsequently won the prestigious Dearborn Medallion Award for Authenticity at the Early Ford V-8 Club of America in 2013 and 2014, the Greystone Mansion Concours d’Elegance Best in Class Award in 2015, and Best 1936 to 1948 Lincoln from the Lincoln & Continental Owners Club at the 2015 Western National Meet. Quintessentially Art Deco and highly authentic, this 1941 Zephyr is both rare and ultimately collectible.