Auctions and Brokerage
*Please note this vehicle is titled 1947.
Jaguar’s first postwar cars were originally named only for their engine displacement, with the prestigious 3 1/2 Litre topping the lineup. Retroactively known as the Mk IV models following the late 1948 debut of the Jaguar Mk V, these early postwar saloons and drophead coupes featured much of their prewar forebears’ styling. The Mk IV’s luxurious interior was particularly elegant, trimmed with leather upholstery, wool carpeting, and wood veneer. Only 560 examples of the premium open car were manufactured between 1946 and 1948, and they remain the most desirable editions of the Mk IV.
According to marque publications, this is one of approximately 350 examples configured in left-hand drive, and was originally shipped to Los Angeles. Boasting a chain of ownership in the Golden State dating back to 1980 (and possibly much further), the Jaguar was restored in 2007 by Mike Wilson Restorations of Visalia, California.
This rare Mk IV has received top prizes at several regional Northern California shows since restoration work was completed, notably participating in Jaguar’s 75th anniversary celebration at the 2010 Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance. Also named Best European Car at the 2008 Carmel-by-the-Sea Concours on the Avenue, this Jaguar is accompanied by a JDHT certificate and is an essential part of the history of one of Britain’s most celebrated marques.