Auctions and Brokerage
This Car “Sporting” is the term that springs to mind when introduced to TC 6800, a lovely example of a classically styled early post-war MG. Morris Garages produced 10,000 TCs between 1946 and 1949, with a heavy emphasis on the export market. Many came to the US in the hands of US military personnel returning from Europe. Their immense popularity is credited with sparking the American sports car movement, and they soon became a common sight at road races and rallies. With its 1,250 cc overhead valve engine producing 55 hp, the lightweight (1,847 lbs.) TC in standard tune could attain a top speed of approximately 75 mph.
TC 6800 left the factory on October 13, 1948, and is believed to have spent its early life in Southern California. It was acquired in the early 1960s by Mr. Bernard Lopez, then a resident of Santa Monica. Although Mr. Lopez retained ownership until about eight years ago, his business frequently took him out of the country, and the car was placed in long-term storage in New Mexico. Unfortunately, according to Mr. Lopez, the car was moved out-of-doors in his absence, and exposure to the elements left the little car in need of restoration. Fortuitously, a friend’s cousin expressed interest in the MG, and Mr. Lopez simply gave the car to him.
The TC then passed briefly through several owners, including Bill Wardlow at Motorway Ltd. in Fort Collins, Colorado, during whose ownership a full body-off restoration was begun. The work, lasting approximately five years, included a complete reconstruction of the ash-coachwork framing using all stainless hardware. Chassis components were disassembled and rebuilt, and all major chassis elements were powder coated. Original parts were restored and utilized whenever possible. The original XPAG engine and gearbox were completely rebuilt by the highly respected team at Autosport in Seattle. The original body panels were retained, and the car was repainted in black by Jon Carson at Fenders & Fins in Woodinville, Washington. The seats were recovered in new red split-hide leather, and other interior panels covered in matching red vinyl complemented by black carpets. The car’s original Jaeger gauges were restored by Mo-Ma in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
Presented as a lightly modified car of the period, TC 6800 is fitted with a pair of Brooklands folding windscreens, an aluminum valve cover, a Thompkins steering box kit, a full black Stayfast tonneau, and a driving lamp. A complete binder of receipts and restoration photographs accompanies the car, along with a set of top bows, the windshield, body brackets, and wiper motor.
Since its completion in September 2012, this very attractive little TC has been displayed at the 2012 Kirkland Concours d’Elegance, the LeMay Museum, and Griot’s Garage corporate headquarters in Tacoma, Washington, where it was selected as the cover car for Griot’s 2013 summer products catalogue. This striking little MG will surely delight the next owner who chooses to include it in their stable.