Auctions and Brokerage
Coachwork by Pinin Farina
Original Owner (acquired new via Kosta G.m.b.H, Hamburg, Germany)Robert Agle, Jeffersonville, Ohio (acquired from the above in 1962)Harold and Judy Johnson, Houston, Texas (acquired from the above in 1998)Current Owner (acquired from the above in 2009)
Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance®, Pebble Beach, California, August 2015Greystone Mansion Concours d’Elegance, Beverly Hills, California, May 2016 (Director’s Award)
The Alfa Romeo 6C 2500 represents the final iteration of the firm’s great road cars powered by engines designed by engineering genius Vittorio Jano. While Jano and Alfa Romeo parted ways in 1937, the six-cylinder engine he first introduced in 1934 – and enlarged slightly in its bore dimension over the years – would power Alfa Romeo’s finest offerings after the war and into the early 1950s.
Introduced in 1939, the 6C 2500 was offered through 1952, when the firm moved from expensive, limited-production models toward mass production. At the top of the 6C 2500 range was the Super Sport model, or SS, which benefited from a 12" shorter wheelbase, three Weber carburetors and a higher compression ratio raising output to 110 hp. Just 383 6C 2500 SS models were produced between 1939 and 1951.
On occasion, master coachbuilder Pinin Farina was called upon to produce coachwork for the 6C 2500 chassis, resulting in that perfect combination of power and beauty. Offered here is one such example: the last Pinin Farina Cabriolet body on the 6C 2500 SS chassis.
Delivered December 9, 1951, to Kosta G.m.b.H. in Hamburg, Germany, the original owner of chassis no. 915922 with engine no. 928329 was a British airman stationed in Europe following WWII. He eventually brought the car to the US, and around 1962, Robert Agle of Jeffersonville, Ohio, acquired it. An engineer by trade, Mr. Agle owned a variety of collector cars, and this one was rarely used. He stored it in a barn on his property, and, out of sight for years, enthusiasts assumed the car to be lost.
The Alfa surfaced years later, and in 1998 Harold and Judy Johnson of Houston, Texas, purchased it. The Johnsons initiated a restoration, choosing to paint the car white, and they retained the Alfa until 2009, when it was sold to the current owner.
In new hands and following a preliminary mechanical restoration, the Cabriolet participated in the Mille Miglia in May 2010, entered as car number 154. As the car was in Italy, the consignor then commissioned a complete restoration by Luzzago Brothers of Brescia. In the process of restoration, the Alfa was painted in a rich burgundy tone, believed to be the orignal color.
When work in Italy was completed, no. 915922 returned to the US for installation of the interior by Mike Lemire of Vermont. During the entire restoration process, Alfa Romeo authority Raoul San Giorgi researched this car and consulted on all aspects of authenticity, including verification of original engine and chassis numbers. It has been used sparingly since the restoration was completed.
This 6C 2500 SS was exhibited at the 2015 Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance®, and most recently it was selected as the poster, program, and publicity car for the Greystone Concours in Beverly Hills, California, in May 2016. The Alfa is offered with authentic tools and books.
Presented here is that rare example of automotive excellence that combines the best of Italian engineering and design. In many ways, it marks the end of an era: Alfa Romeo’s final postwar Grand Touring model that still had links to the firm’s glory days, coupled with the last Cabriolet body Pinin Farina produced for the 6C 2500 chassis. Being a Super Sport model, this car yearns for open road touring, but it would be equally at home on any concours field where its beauty can be appreciated.