Auctions and Brokerage
This striking XK120 Roadster, finished in Blue Pastel paint with blue duotone upholstery and French Grey top, was dispatched from Jaguar’s factory on June 12, 1952, destined for Los Angeles. It retailed to an unknown buyer, through Charles Hornburg’s famed dealership on Sunset Boulevard, before the car migrated east. In July 1961, Louise Pfoutz, a vintage aircraft enthusiast and pilot, purchased the XK120 from a local dealer in Dayton, Ohio. Her original Ohio title, citing the purchase date, accompanies the car at auction.
In 1988, Cleveland-based architect Gerald Payto purchased the Jaguar from Mrs. Pfoutz and had the car restored to factory specifications at nearby Cross Country Classics by JCNA National Chief Judge Paul Cusato, who completed the work in 1991. Although Mr. Payto drove the Jaguar less than 2,500 miles during his 28-year ownership, the car benefited from regular attention. Briefly held by an interim owner, the consignor acquired the handsome Roadster in 2017 and, at a cost of £18,000, enlisted the renowned P & A Wood to make improvements to the XK’s paint finish, panel gaps, and wheel spats.
An impressive file of records accompanies the sale, as does a tool kit, jack, air pump, side curtains, original hardbound service manual, and the rarely seen customer’s instruction envelope with its original contents, detailing the features and operation of the XK120. Beautifully presented throughout, this pristine XK120 Roadster is sure to excite any Jaguar purist.