Auctions and Brokerage
Coachwork by Vignale
Please note that online bidding is not available for this vehicle.
Extensive and Well-Documented US Racing History | Arguably the Finest Example of Its TypeAlfred Momo Corporation, Woodside, New York (acquired new in 1953)Bill Lloyd, Greens Farms, Connecticut (acquired from the above in 1953)J.M. Richard Lyeth, Grosse Pointe, Michigan (acquired from the above in 1954)Jerome C. Earl, Grosse Pointe, Michigan (acquired from the above in 1955)Charles and Audrey Saffell, Huntsville, Alabama (acquired from the above in 1956)RRR Motors, Homewood, Illinois (acquired in 1960)John Delameter, Indianapolis, Indiana (acquired in 1962)Ken Hutchison, Tower Lake, Illinois (acquired from the above in 1964)William Jacobs Jr., Joliet, Illinois (acquired from the above in 1985)Gerald Bowes, Villanova, Pennsylvania (acquired from the above in 1988)Mark Smith, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (acquired from the above in 1988)Erich Traber, Berne, Switzerland (acquired from the above in 1988)David Sydorick, Beverly Hills, California (acquired from the above in 1994)William Jacobs Jr., Joliet, Illinois (reacquired from the above in 2000)Victor Muller, The Netherlands (acquired from the above in 2003)Manny Del Arroz, Diablo, California (acquired from the above in 2004)Private Collector, US (acquired from the above in 2012)Current Owner (acquired from the above)
MacDill Air Force Base Preliminary Race, Florida, 1954, Walters, No. 6 (2nd Overall)MacDill Air Force Base Main Race, Florida, 1954, Fitch, No. 6 (3rd Overall)SCCA Savannah National, 1954, Lyeth (DNF)Andrews Air Force Base Lincoln Trophy, Maryland, 1954, Lyeth, No. 94 (4th Overall)Andrews Air Force Base President’s Cup, Maryland, 1954, Lyeth/Hassan, No. 94 (5th Overall)Chanute Air Force Base Chicago Cup, Illinois, 1954, Lyeth, No. 136 (5th Overall)Chanute Air Force Base Chanute Trophy, Illinois, 1954, Lyeth, No. 136 (5th Overall)Offutt Air Force Base Omaha Centennial Grand Prix, Nebraska, 1954, Lyeth, No. 220 (7th Overall, 1st in Class)Watkins Glen Sports Car Grand Prix, New York, 1954, Lyeth, No. 59 (8th Overall)Fulton Municipal Airport Forest City Trophy, 1954, Lyeth, No. 50 (5th Overall, 1st in Class)Fulton Municipal Airport Lake Erie Grand Prix, 1954, Lyeth, No. 50 (6th Overall, 2nd in Class)SCCA Cumberland Race 11, 1955, Lyeth, No. 220 (5th in Class)SCCA Cumberland Junior Race, 1955, Schaeffer, No. 220 (1st in Class)Road America 500, 1955, Lyeth, No. 122D (10th Overall)Watkins Glen Sports Car Grand Prix, New York, 1955, Lyeth, No. 22(4th Overall)SCCA Regional Courtland Race 2, Alabama, 1956, Saffell, No. 29 (1st Overall)SCCA Regional Gainesville Race 1, Georgia 1956, Saffell, No. 29 (1st Overall)SCCA Regional Gainesville Race 4, Georgia, 1956, Saffell, No. 29 (1st Overall)SCCA Regional Gainesville Race 6, Georgia, 1956, Saffell, No. 29 (1st Overall)SCCA Regional Gainesville Race 2, Georgia, 1957, Saffell, No. 29 (1st Overall)SCCA Regional Gainesville Race 4, Georgia, 1957, Saffell, No. 29 (3rd Overall)SCCA Regional Courtland Race 2, Alabama, 1957, Saffell, No. 29 (1st Overall)SCCA Regional Courtland Race 3, Alabama, 1957, Saffell, No. 29 (DNF)Lime Rock, 1958, Swan, No. 24
FCA National Meet, Indianapolis, 1966Mille Miglia Storica, Italy, 1987Meadow Brook Concours d’Elegance, Michigan, 1987Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance®, 1988Copperstate 1000, Arizona, 1995Rosso Rodeo, California, 1995Colorado Grand, 1995Rodeo Drive Concours d’Elegance, California, 1997VII Cavallino Classic, Florida, 1998 (Third in Class)Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance®, 2001Rosso Rodeo Concours d’Elegance, California, 2003Mille Miglia Storica, Italy, 2004, Entrant No. 297European Concours at Galopprennbahn, Germany, 2004XVII Cavallino Classic, Florida, 2008XX Cavallino Classic, Florida, 2011
In 1953, Ferrari unveiled an exciting new model called the 250 Mille Miglia. A development of the experimental 250 Sport that Giovanni Bracco and Alfonso Rolfo drove to victory in the 1952 Mille Miglia, the latest Ferrari sports racing car was the first series-built competition model to use the now iconic “250” appellation.
Although Ferrari was experimenting with Lampredi engines during this period, the 250 MM was powered by a three-liter V-12 designed by Gioacchino Colombo. Essentially a Colombo block with Lampredi-style heads, the 250 MM engine featured individual porting, hairpin valve springs, and exotic four-choke Weber carburetors. It produced approximately 240 bhp at 7,200 rpm, with the benefit of being smaller, lighter, and easier to maintain than a Lampredi engine.
The 250 MM made its competition debut at the 1953 Giro di Sicilia and quickly earned a reputation as a winner. That April, Phil Hill won the Pebble Beach Road Races in his first outing with a 250 MM Spider. In June, Luigi Villoresi drove a 250 MM Berlinetta to victory at Monza, and the following month, Paolo Marzotto won the Coppa D’Oro delle Dolomiti with a 250 MM Spider. Ferrari built just 31 examples of the 250 MM. Pinin Farina bodied the majority in berlinetta form and Vignale bodied the remaining 13, all but one as spiders. This 250 MM, 0348 MM, is one of the chassis that Ferrari shipped to Carrozzeria Vignale in Torino. During the early 1950s, Vignale designed and built custom coachwork for approximately 155 Ferraris, from the most exclusive road-going models to thoroughbred competition cars. That they succeeded in producing winners on the racetrack and at leading European concours d’elegance is a testament to the vibrant collaboration that existed between company founder Alfredo Vignale and designer Giovanni Michelotti.
In 1953, toward the end of his tenure as a coachbuilder for Ferrari, Vignale debuted a new style for two-seater racing cars that possessed the unmistakable imprimatur of Michelotti. These new Vignale Spiders featured compact proportions, rounded forms, imposing grilles, oval portholes, and triangular cutaways in the rear fenders. Bodies in this general style were built for the two-liter 166 MM/53, the three-liter 250 MM, and the 4.1-liter 340 MM.
Of the 12 Vignale Spiders built for the 250 MM chassis, 10 were fashioned in this updated “Series II” style. Each Vignale Spider was essentially unique and 0348 MM, the penultimate example built, features a decorative chrome grille on the hood and outboard headlights, a feature more commonly seen on the larger 340 MM Spiders.
Originally finished in red with brown leather upholstery, 0348 MM was sold new to the Alfred Momo Corporation in Woodside, New York. Momo, who managed Briggs Cunningham’s racing team, then sold, loaned, or leased the 250 MM to Bill Lloyd, a nephew of Cunningham who raced with the team during the 1950s. The 250 MM saw no racing use while in Mr. Lloyd’s hands, and in January 1954, Briggs Cunningham advertised it for sale in the SCCA Bulletin, asking $10,500.
Before the Ferrari was sold, it was sent to Florida to participate in the MacDill Air Force Base races on January 31st. There, it was entrusted to ace drivers Phil Walters and John Fitch, who finished 2nd Overall in the preliminary race and 3rd Overall in the main event.
Soon after this outing, 0348 MM was sold to Rich Lyeth of Grosse Pointe, Michigan. Throughout 1954, Mr. Lyeth campaigned the 250 MM in many of the airport races that had become popular in the Midwest during the period. In addition to outings at Andrews, Chanute, and Offutt Air Force Bases, Mr. Lyeth raced 0348 MM at the annual Watkins Glen Sports Car Grand Prix, where he finished 8th Overall.
Lyeth continued to race the Ferrari into 1955 with notable results, including a top 10 finish at the Road America 500 and 4th Overall at Watkins Glen. That fall, he purchased a 375 MM from Jim Kimberly and sold the 250 MM to Jerome Earl, a neighbor in Grosse Pointe.
In March 1956, Mr. Earl sold 0348 MM to Charles and Audrey Saffell of Huntsville, Alabama. Avid Ferrari enthusiasts, the Saffells owned a 166 MM Berlinetta, a 250 GT Boano, and raced together under the Scuderia Furioso banner, sharing driving duties. In their debut race with the 250 MM, at Courtland in July 1956, Audrey Saffell finished 1st Overall. This success was repeated at Gainesville in October, where they placed 1st in three heats. In 1957, the Saffells added a head fairing to the Ferrari and again captured wins at Gainesville and Courtland.
The Saffells sold 0348 MM after the 1957 season, and the car’s last known race outings took place at Lime Rock in 1958 and Marlboro in 1959. In 1960, the 250 MM was sold to Illinois Ferrari dealer RRR Motors, and it then passed through the hands of a Mr. Harper and exotic car dealer John Delameter.
In 1964, Mr. Delameter sold the Vignale Spider to Ken Hutchison of Tower Lake, Illinois. A discerning collector, Mr. Hutchison was one of the founding members of the Ferrari Club of America. He maintained a great passion for Italian sports cars of the 1950s; at the height of his collecting during the late 1970s, his stable included a 212 Export, 250 Monza, and 375 MM – as well as this 250 MM Spider.
Mr. Hutchison retained 0348 MM until 1985, selling it, along with most of his cars, to fellow Chicago-area collector Bill Jacobs. During Mr. Jacobs’ ownership, Motion Products in Wisconsin restored the Ferrari, which included an engine rebuild by Rick Bunkfeldt. In 1988, the car was sold to Gerald Bowes of Pennsylvania, and later that year it was acquired by Erich Traber of Switzerland.
The 250 MM remained in Europe until 1994, when it was acquired by David Sydorick of Beverly Hills, California. At this time, Mr. Sydorick’s collection focused on early Ferrari competition cars, and his stable included a 166 Spider Corsa, a 500 Mondial, and a 212 Export Berlinetta. During his ownership, Mr. Sydorick displayed the 250 MM at the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance®, Rosso Rodeo in Beverly Hills, and at the Cavallino Classic. The Ferrari was also enjoyed on the open road, taking part in the Colorado Grand and Copperstate 1000.
In 2000, Bill Jacobs bought 0348 MM back from Mr. Sydorick, showed it at Pebble Beach, and then sold it to Dutch enthusiast Victor Muller in 2003. Mr. Muller took the car on the 2004 Mille Miglia Storica and then sold it later that year to Manny Del Arroz, a California collector who owned several important early Ferraris including a 375 MM and a 166 MM. Soon after acquiring 0348 MM, Mr. Del Arroz entrusted the car to Brian Hoyt’s Perfect Reflections in Hayward, California, where it was refinished in the elegant dark red livery it wears today. After this work was completed, the Vignale Spider took part in several Ferrari Maserati Historic Challenge races and was displayed at the Cavallino Classic in 2008 and 2011.
Today, 0348 MM is beautifully presented and, most importantly, retains its original chassis, bodywork, engine, and gearbox, with internal numbers that correspond to factory records. Of the 12 Vignale Spiders built on the 250 MM chassis, 0348 MM is one of the lucky few that have survived in such good, original order. This 250 MM is also accompanied by a history report compiled by Marcel Massini, the noted marque historian and author of Ferrari by Vignale.
Presented here is an even-serial-number competition Ferrari, with spectacular open coachwork by Vignale, an extensive US racing history, and a rich provenance that counts prominent collectors among its previous owners. Well-known and highly regarded among marque experts, this is a historically significant early Ferrari that possesses every quality one looks for in a collectible automobile: aesthetic beauty, mechanical sophistication, exclusivity in numbers, a fantastic racing history, and exceptional provenance. Furthermore, 250 MMs are remarkably versatile Ferraris, eligible for countless concours, historic races, and tours, including, of course, the Mille Miglia.
Arguably the finest surviving example of a rare breed, 0348 MM is an outstanding representative of the last generation of Vignale-bodied Ferraris and a true prize for the connoisseur.