Auctions and Brokerage
Please note that a rollbar, racing seats, and a gearbox also accompany the sale of this vehicle.
In October 1953, Aston Martin introduced the DB2/4, a four-seat successor to the popular DB2. Employing a 2.9-litre version of the sport-tuned Vantage engine, the DB2/4 was produced in a quantity of 565 examples over two years.
According to the accompanying BMIHT Certificate, this DB2/4 completed assembly in late September 1953 and was finished in black paint and upholstered in beige leather. S.H. “Wacky” Arnolt, a well-known Chicago importer, acquired chassis LML/551 for his dealership, and five months later, the car was delivered to the Foreign Car Center in Carmel, California. Previous owners have stated that William Randolph Hearst Jr. held the Aston Martin briefly before it was sold to H.M. Handley, who reportedly raced the car in California. Stan Davis, a California resident, purchased the DB2/4 in 1975 and held it for nearly 20 years. By 2004, LML/551 had been acquired by Michael Ginsberg of Rancho Cordova, California; he completed a sympathetic cosmetic refurbishment, presenting the car at the 2007 Niello Concours at Serrano. Later that year, the Aston Martin passed to Fred Dulien of Costa Mesa, California, who commissioned a drivetrain restoration by Kevin Kay, a respected specialist, that included a rebuild of the engine and cylinder head to upgraded specifications, the installation of a T-5 gearbox, and an upgrade to front disc brakes.
Fans of David Brown’s seminal early offerings should give strong consideration to this beautifully maintained DB2/4.