Auctions and Brokerage
The XK140 debuted in October 1954 and shared the same spirited 3.4-litre engine and admired silhouette of its predecessor, the XK120, but offered improved brakes, steering, and suspension with telescopic shock absorbers, and a slightly more spacious interior.
Only 2,310 left-hand-drive Drophead Coupes were built between 1954 and 1957, and this car cruised out of the factory on August 23, 1955, wearing Pearl Grey paint with a red interior and black top. It was immediately dispatched to Hornburg Jaguar in Los Angeles, and, although its early days are largely undocumented, at some point received a replacement 3.4-litre XK150 engine. It was later restored by Wellwood Auto Restoration of Ventura, California, a process that included a cosmetic restoration in dark blue paint with a gray top and pale gray interior. The engine was rebuilt by Frank Monise Motors of Montclair, California, and all systems were stringently addressed. Fresh from restoration, the car was acquired by its current owner on October 22, 2014.
In 2018, XKs Motorsport of San Luis Obispo, California, completed a full inspection and work, to the tune of over $30,000. The mechanical and electrical systems were rebuilt or renewed, as described in the accompanying documentation. A new top was also installed by XKs Unlimited. More recently, in late 2019, the mechanical systems were reviewed, serviced, and found to be in excellent order, including the overdrive.
Beautiful to behold and dynamic to drive, this lovely statesman of the Jaguar line is a superb choice for drivers with a penchant for power and pedigree.