Auctions and Brokerage
The Jaguar XK140
The Jaguar XK140 was introduced in 1954, with a number of improvements over the outgoing XK120. The fixed head coupe and drophead coupe both gained occasional jump seats, thanks to the engine being moved forward 3". The cowl and steering wheel were raised 1", increasing comfort and headroom inside.
Most obviously, the XK140 received heavier bumpers, connected to the chassis this time, and a bolder cast-aluminum grille with fewer bars, which improved cooling. New “J” headlights could be paired with optional twin fog lights. The hood and trunk were crowned with chrome strips and medallions, celebrating Le Mans victories and designed to appeal to American buyers.
Mechanically, the XK140 standardized the 190 bhp engine from the XK120 SE, while the XK140 SE offered an engine with a C-type head, good for 210 bhp. Overdrive was offered for the first time, and the Burman steering was replaced by a more accurate rack and pinion system that made the car more controllable. Anti-roll bars were increased in diameter for stiffer cornering.
The XK140 Roadster was Jaguar’s most popular model, with 3,347 sold, while additionally there were 2,798 fixed head coupes and 2,790 drophead coupes produced.
The XK140 offered here was sold new on February 1, 1955, by Jaguar Importer Max Hoffman in New York City. Originally finished in gray with a red leather interior and gunmetal soft top, it was purchased by Mr. and Mrs. J.H. Porter, who lived in New England. In the late 1960s, the XK140 was sold to a longtime Jaguar collector who kept it for 30 years, maintaining it carefully and driving it occasionally. In the 1990s he commissioned a frame-up restoration by Richard Paulhamus of RJP Auto Repair in New Boston, New Hampshire. The Jaguar remained in New Hampshire until it was discovered and acquired by the consignor.
From its JDHT certificate and chassis prefix letter “A” this XK140 was assumed to have the base 190 bhp engine, but then discovered to be fitted with a period-correct 210 bhp SE engine with a “C-type” cylinder head. RJP’s restoration was completed in 2000, with predominantly OEM parts and rebuilt original equipment. The roadster was handsomely finished in red with a black leather interior and black top, riding on chrome wire wheels. It now stands ready to enjoy under the care of a new owner, either as a distinguished weekend driver or strong contender on the show field.