Auctions and Brokerage
From 1948 through 1954, the brilliant XK120 propelled Jaguar to the forefront of sports car manufacturers with its powerful DOHC engine, sleek lines, and impressive performance. The improved XK140 arrived in late 1954 with subtly updated styling, plus rack and pinion steering, improved brakes and cooling, and additional legroom.
This XK140 SE Roadster is an original left-hand-drive, US-delivery example featuring the top-of-the-line Special Equipment or SE package, a desirable option that includes a crankshaft damper, wire-spoke wheels, dual exhaust pipes, and fog lamps. As indicated by the C designation, the 3.4-litre XK engine received a high-compression C-Type cylinder head, enlarged valves, and sportier camshafts raising output to 210 bhp. Numbered S812339DN, this engaging XK140 was further equipped with Laycock overdrive and its completion date is recorded as April 13, 1956. Following its dispatch to America, Edmund Normandie of Merrimac, Massachusetts, purchased the XK140. Most recently, the consignor acquired the Jaguar from the estate of Joseph Marzilli of Warwick, Rhode Island. Resplendent in its red livery from a refinish completed in 2009, the XK140 benefits from further cosmetic and mechanical work commissioned by the consignor, including installation of a new clutch, pressure plate, and a period-correct C-Type cylinder head. Accompanied by a Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust Certificate, this XK140 SE Roadster marks an outstanding example of Jaguar’s legendary XK series.