Auctions and Brokerage
Coachwork by Allemano
Recently Discovered and Last Road Registered in 1969Julius Byles, Torino, Italy (acquired new in 1956)S.M. Levy, Woodbridge, Connecticut (acquired circa 1965)S.J. Butts, Ridgewood, New Jersey (acquired circa May 1967)Dennis Thiemann, Shermans Dale, Pennsylvania (acquired circa 1969)Jim Larkin, Leominster, Massachusetts (acquired from the above circa 1979)Current Owner (acquired from the above)
The A6G/2000 represented the ultimate evolution of the A6 series, Maserati’s first postwar sports car. The A6G/2000 was an exclusive gran turismo that embodied the very best qualities of the Maserati marque.
The A6G/2000 shared many features with the A6GCS, including many of its race-proven braking, steering, and suspension components. At the heart of the car was a gorgeous all-aluminum twin-cam six-cylinder engine that Gioacchino Colombo had originally developed for competition purposes. Maserati engineer Vittorio Bellentani revisited the original design and implemented wet-sump lubrication, chain-driven camshafts, and a revised valve train.
Available with an optional twin-plug cylinder head and other special competition features, the A6G/2000 was among the best performing two-liter cars of its era. Famed automotive journalist Hans Tanner, in testing the A6G/2000 for Motor Racing, found that the new Maserati offered “instantaneous acceleration, faultless roadholding and excellent handling.”
A series of bodies was commissioned for the A6G/2000 chassis. Allemano, Frua, and Zagato each imbued the A6G/2000 with their own distinctive character and, ultimately, Maserati offered four catalogued body styles for the model.
Zagato constructed sporting dual-purpose berlinettas best suited for fast road use or competition work. Frua produced extravagantly decorated automotive fashion statements in both coupe and spider form. Carrozzeria Allemano, a small firm based in Torino, succeeded in producing an elegant 2+2 coupe that was versatile, well built, and beautifully detailed. In all, just 60 A6G/2000 chassis were ever built, of which 21 were bodied by Allemano.
The Maserati A6G/2000 presented here is a most exciting find – a remarkably complete, unrestored Allemano Coupe that has just reemerged from decades in static storage.
Thanks to the research of marque historian Adolfo Orsi, the history of this A6G/2000 can be traced back to May 1956, when Maserati delivered chassis 2165 to Carrozzeria Allemano. As evidenced by copies of the original factory build record, this A6G/2000 Coupe was originally finished in the attractive color scheme of gray over blue leather and specified with Jaeger instruments, an Abarth exhaust system, Borrani wire wheels, and Pirelli Super Sport tires.
The first owner of 2165 was Julius Byles, who placed his order for the new Maserati on July 19, 1956. Mr. Byles, a Princeton letterman, Rhodes scholar, and US Army captain, served as a representative for California Texas Oil Inc. in Torino during the 1950s. While in Italy, Mr. Byles developed an appreciation for the Maserati marque and, in later years, acquired several other models including a Tipo 61 Birdcage.
According to factory records, Mr. Byles returned 2165 to Maserati in January 1957 to have the original engine (internal no. 67) replaced with a new engine (internal no. 103), which was equipped with the improved twin-plug cylinder head. At this time, Maserati also fitted a parking brake on the transmission.
It is not known precisely when Mr. Byles parted with his Maserati; however, by the early 1960s, the car had been exported to the US and sold to S.M. Levy of Connecticut. An advertisement for 2165 then appeared in the May 1967 issue of Road & Track magazine. Then owner, S.J. Butts was asking $2,950 for the Maserati, which had reportedly received a total engine rebuild by Zumbach Sports Cars LTD of New York.
From there, 2165 passed to Dennis Thiemann of Shermans Dale, Pennsylvania; and, in 1979 or 1980, James Larkin purchased the Maserati at a swap meet in Carlisle, Pennsylvania.
Having been kept in static storage for at least three decades, this long-lost Maserati now presents as an ideal candidate for a show-quality restoration. Though 2165 appears to have been cosmetically “freshened” in the mid-to late 1960s, many of its important original details and rare features remain intact to this day.
While the car is not in running condition, the engine can be turned by hand and the chassis and body look to be in sound condition. Most importantly, the engine is stamped with the expected internal number “103,” and the factory chassis and service tags are still affixed to the firewall.
The A6G/2000 also retains some charming period accessories, including a Condor Electronik radio and ACI stickers from 1956 and 1957.
Beyond these fascinating details, this A6G/2000 is offered with a collection of spare components, a Maserati instruction manual, Mr. Larkin’s Maserati Club membership card, and copies of the original Maserati factory build record.
Presented for public sale for the first time in decades, this unrestored Maserati is an absolutely thrilling discovery. We have no doubt that this rare Italian sports car will spark tremendous interest when it finally returns to the public eye.