Auctions and Brokerage
*Please note this vehicle is titled by its body number, A1210426501758. Please also note that this car is equipped with Weber carburetors, not Solex carburetors as stated in the catalogue.
From the Peter Klutt Legendary Motorcar Collection
Conceived by US Mercedes-Benz importer Max Hoffman as a companion to the 300 SL, the 190 SL debuted at New York in 1954. Excellent road manners, good looks, and outstanding build quality made it an immediate success. Nearly 26,000 were built from 1955 to 1963.
This early example was purchased by Peter Klutt in May 2013 from Josephine Abplanalp of Bronxville, New York, who received the car as a gift from her husband, Robert, in 1956 – the year they were married. Mr. Abplanalp was the founder of the Precision Valve Corporation in 1949, and he was a prolific inventor with many patents for the aerosol spray nozzle. As his business grew, so did his circle of influence, including a close friendship with Richard M. Nixon.
Early on, the Mercedes sustained some minor damage to the rear panel and bumper, with the metal repaired and a small portion of the paint resprayed. The rest of the paint finish remains original, as does the remarkably as-new interior. Otherwise, normal maintenance work was done, including a new battery and new tires. Just over 1,000 miles are recorded on the odometer. Accompanied by a complete tool set and fitted with a soft top, this incredible, low-mileage 190 SL is a simply irreplaceable find.