Auctions and Brokerage
Coachwork by Sindelfingen
*Please note this vehicle is titled 1955.
The 300 series was introduced at the 1951 Frankfurt Automobile Show, available in coupe, cabriolet, a slim-pillar four-door sedan, four-door convertible, and a longer-wheelbase limousine. While it was aimed squarely at the export market, many of the sedans were purchased by government agencies and foreign diplomats, and it soon picked up the nickname “Adenauer,” since it became a favorite of West Germany’s first postwar chancellor. It is believed that just 1,432 examples of the 300c were built.
This elegant 300c sedan with its full-length fabric sunroof was specially ordered by a member of the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra, who wanted to give the car some character, hence the Strawberry Red paint, usually specified for sports cars. He sold the car in the early 1960s to Maurice Petrene, another Pittsburgh resident who began, but never completed, a restoration. Carl Minneci acquired the car around 1969, its odometer showing just 43,000 miles. Over the next 15 years, he completely restored the car, which was featured in the Mercedes-Benz Club of America magazine The Star in 1993. Based in Pittsburgh from new through 2014, the restored 300c has been used on a very limited basis, such as being driven to MBCA meets and local concours d’elegance. Perfect for show or touring, this uniquely appointed flagship Mercedes-Benz 300c is a sight to behold and is sure to create a stir wherever it appears.