Auctions and Brokerage
In 1951, Mercedes-Benz returned to its prewar magnificence with the new 300 series, commonly known as the “Adenauer” due to its association with German Chancellor Dr. Konrad Adenauer, the driving force behind German reconstruction. Following the standard 300 and uprated 300 S, the fuel-injected 300 Sc debuted in 1955. Extremely limited production included just 98 coupes bodied by the craftsmen at Mercedes-Benz’s Sindelfingen coachworks in the finest Old World style. The details include intricate, hand-formed and fitted panels, extensive yet tasteful brightwork, luxurious leather upholstery, and beautiful wooden interior trim. While weighing nearly 4,000 lbs., the 300 Sc was capable of exceeding 110 mph while cosseting occupants in serene luxury.
Accompanied by a copy of its factory Wagenkarte, this 300 Sc is an original export model that was completed on February 10, 1956, and 10 days later it was dispatched to New York. Original colors were Metallic Green (Code 274) with Cream leather upholstery. Decidedly sporting, the vehicle’s rear passenger compartment was equipped with a single jump seat opposing an open area sufficient for two sets of golf clubs. While little is known of its early years, the owner’s manual accompanying this 300 Sc does contain a stamped entry on the inside back cover reading “Dayton, Ohio.” During the mid-1980s, this 300 Sc was discovered in Minnesota by Southern California restorer and model expert Chuck Brahms. Soon thereafter, the 300 Sc was acquired by Mercedes-Benz enthusiast Gary Gallup, who stored it with his friend Robin Onsoien, the proprietor of Early Motors in Nipomo, California, on the understanding that Mr. Onsoien would eventually perform an extensive restoration of the vehicle.
The car spent years in clean, dry storage, and restoration commenced in 2007. Following disassembly of the vehicle’s complex bodywork, the panels were prepared and then refinished in Metallic Burgundy before being carefully reassembled. Jack’s Upholstery of Santa Maria trimmed the Belgian-sourced leather hides and expertly installed the opulent tan headliner and carpeting. Lesco Engines of San Luis Obispo rebuilt the fuel-injected inline six-cylinder engine, and scores of factory-correct parts were sourced from the Mercedes-Benz Classic Center in Irvine. Three separate wiring harnesses are used to power the Sc’s systems, and each was completely replaced. Exterior and interior chrome brightwork was renewed by Christensen Plating of Vernon, California. The well-detailed engine bay visually confirms the extremely limited mileage since the restoration was completed. Equipped with SL-type alloy-rimmed wheels, dual spares, and two pieces of highly scarce Karl Baisch fitted luggage, this wonderful 300 Sc Coupe has yet to be shown publicly. As the ultimate expression of the 300 model line, it is at once rare, beautiful, and fit for a true Mercedes-Benz connoisseur.