Auctions and Brokerage
Coachwork by Reutter
The 356 A was produced from 1955 through 1959 and featured myriad modifications from the “Pre-A” model. More than 21,000 were built before its succession, but the 356 A, by many accounts, is notably responsible for launching the Porsche legend that has continued over six decades.
According to its accompanying Porsche Certificate of Authenticity, this 356 A Coupe, chassis 57678, was completed on October 15, 1956, with engine no. 63125, which it retains today. The Reutter-bodied coupe was quite desirably finished in black paint over black leatherette and, as a US export version, it was equipped with regulation bumpers and sealed beam headlights. The original ownership is not documented, but the current owner – an authority on Porsche since 1958 – purchased 57678 in 1992 in Fremont, California, and oversaw an extensive restoration in-state between 1994 and 1996. The engine was rebuilt by Colusa German Motors Work, and Dawn’s Restoration & Repair attended to the transaxle. The car was finished in its original black by Manuel Auto Body & Custom, and Autos International Inc. reupholstered the interior in red vinyl. Receipts for restoration work are included. Since completion in 1996, this car has seen very few road miles, and has been started and maintained faithfully.
With its matching-numbers engine, rare colors, and fine overall condition, this head-turning 356 A Coupe is ideal for the Porsche devotee eager to participate in events or take to the road as its engineers intended.