Auctions and Brokerage
Coachwork by Tickford
Maison L. Kitmacher, Paris, France (acquired new in 1957)André Petit, Courbevoie, France (acquired from the above)Christian Ciganer Albeniz, Saint Cloud, France (acquired circa 1985)Ken Boyd, Needles, California (acquired circa 1989)T. Boyd Moody, Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida (acquired circa 2005)Current Owner (acquired in 2014)
At the 1955 London Motor Show, Aston Martin unveiled the DB2/4 Mk II, the latest development of David Brown’s elegant grand touring car. The Mk II was visually differentiated from its immediate predecessor by its attractive chrome brightwork, simplified bonnet arrangement, separate bucket seats, subtle tailfins, and bubble taillights. As standard, the new Aston Martin was equipped with the 2.9-litre VB6J engine that produced 140 bhp and propelled the car to a genuine 120 mph top speed. In addition to the Saloon and Fixed Head Coupe, the Mk II was also offered as a sophisticated Drophead Coupe, the first open Aston Martin with Tickford coachwork, constructed at the famous Newport Pagnell factory. Unlike the Saloon, which offered 2+2 seating, the Drophead Coupe was a strict two-seater with ample luggage space for continental touring. The DB2/4 Mk II was produced from October 1955 to August 1957, remaining in production for six months after the new DB Mk III had been introduced. In total, just 199 examples were built, of which a mere 16 were specified as Drophead Coupes, the most expensive of the three body styles offered by Tickford.
According to factory records, this DB2/4 Mk II Drophead Coupe, chassis AM.300/1265, was originally finished in Imperial Crimson with black Connolly leather upholstery and a black Everflex top. The Aston Martin was equipped with a 3.77:1 rear axle ratio, instruments in kilometers, and the optional VB6L/1 cylinder head, which featured high-lift camshafts and larger valves. This high-performance feature was rarely ordered on Mk IIs, despite offering 20 more horsepower than the standard VB6J engine.
Completed in December 1956, the new Drophead Coupe was shipped to Aston Martin distributor Majestic Automobiles, who then delivered the car to its first owner, Maison L. Kitmacher of Paris, in March 1957. The Mk II remained in the hands of French collectors until the late 1980s, when it was exported to the US. The current owner, a New York collector with a passion for rare Aston Martins, has continued to cherish the car, driving it sparingly and maintaining it in lovely condition.
Today, the Aston Martin’s Tickford coachwork is finished in a striking black livery with black upholstery and tan carpeting. Under the bonnet, the original matching-numbers engine remains intact, and the chassis appears to be in well-kept and impressively original order. Accompanied by a leather-bound owner’s handbook, service manual, tool kit, and copy of the factory build record, this handsome DB2/4 Mk II Drophead Coupe is among the most desirable Feltham era Aston Martins. With just 16 built in all, and as few as six specified in left-hand drive, it is an especially rare find. Eligible for numerous international events – from the Colorado Grand to the Mille Miglia – and factory-equipped with the rare high-performance cylinder head, this Mk II Drophead Coupe will surely appeal to the collector in search of an outstanding open Aston Martin.