Auctions and Brokerage
Coachwork by Tickford
*Please note this vehicle is titled by its engine number.
Two Southern California Owners | 45,000 Miles from NewMarshall Sosson, Beverly Hills, California (acquired new in 1957)Current Owner (acquired from the above in 1983)
Aston Martin Owners Club Meet, 1984 (Best in Show)Aston Martin Owners Club Meet, 1986 (First Place)Ventura Concours d’Elegance, 1997 (First Place, British Car)Santa Barbara Concours d’Elegance, 2009 (First in Class)
Aston Martin introduced the DB2/4 Mk II in October 1955 as an evolution of the successful DB2/4. Similar to the previous model, the Mk II’s nose tilted forward for engine access, but side panels were now fixed in place and fitted with highly useful footwell vents. The Mk II featured more-comfortable front bucket seats, a fingertip headlight flasher, and rear fenders updated with small fins, producing a more evolved look. The arrival of the Mk II also ushered in a whole new body style: the fixed head coupe. Production totaled just 199 Mk II examples, the vast majority being of the standard hatchback configuration, but 16 drophead coupes and 34 of the smartly proportioned fixed head coupes are included in this number. Of the 34, just 18 were built for export, with an even smaller number bound for American shores.
Purchased new by accomplished jazz violinist Marshall Sosson, this late-production DB2/4 Mk II, numbered 1276, has spent its entire existence in the temperate climate of Southern California. Mr. Sosson and his wife, Agnes, lived near Beverly Hills and took delivery of their new Aston Martin on September 16, 1957, from British Motor Car Distributors in San Francisco. They would own the car for the next 26 years and accrue some 38,000 miles.
Mr. Sosson was delighted with his car, as reflected in an original letter from famed Aston Martin racing director John Wyer. This important letter, plus a copy of 1276’s build card, documents from Sosson, and service records from Performance and Classic Motors in Pasadena, California, all accompany the sale of the car. Records indicate that Mr. Sosson had the coupe repainted in its original colors in 1983, and its leather interior was renewed prior to its acquisition by the consignor.
The current owner, also an accomplished Southern California musician, has now owned this special Aston Martin for more than three decades, adding just 7,000 miles to the odometer. He has enjoyed the Mk II on numerous drives and has shown the car competitively with much success.
In person, 1276 exudes the gentle patina of a well-kept and well-enjoyed car, showing only light wear, and the engine compartment appears as original and is quite tidy. The tools are intact and in their place, as are the grease gun, knock-off hammer, and jack. It would be very difficult to find another example in such fine, honest condition.
Never before offered publicly, this rare left-hand-drive DB2/4 Mk II Fixed Head Coupe offers a fabulous opportunity for touring or showing, or as a welcome addition to even the most complete of Aston Martin collections.