Auctions and Brokerage
Coachwork by H.J. Mulliner
*Please note that this vehicle was recently serviced by British Automotive Repair in Scottsdale, Arizona. The invoice from that service accompanies the sale and can be viewed in The Archives or by contacting a specialist. During the recent service, significant corrosion was detected in the exhaust system, which will require attention prior to use. Online bidding is not available for this vehicle.
Dorothy Staniar Assheton, New York, New York (acquired new via J.S. Inskip in 1957)Samuel R. Schwartz, Cedarhurst, New York (acquired by 1974)Auburn Cord Duesenberg Automobile Museum, Auburn, Indiana (donated by the above in 2005)Current Owner
Debuted in April 1955, the Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud and its Bentley S1 stablemate ushered in an entirely new era with their stylistic excellence and luxurious appointments. As stated by several marque authorities, these models – even in standard saloon form – hastened the growing rate of attrition among Britain’s specialist coachbuilders. They also were the last models powered by the venerable straight six in its most developed form. While the standard steel saloon coachwork rightfully earned acclaim, buyers preferring greater style and exclusivity could still turn to England’s remaining coachbuilders for bespoke bodies. Certainly, the most desirable and elegant was H.J. Mulliner’s aluminum-bodied drophead coupe, style no. 7410. Just 22 examples – and only 12 with left-hand drive – were produced.
Chassis LSDD146, is a wonderful example of one of those 12 original left-handdrive cars. It was ordered in 1956 by Dorothy Staniar Assheton, who married oil businessman John Assheton in 1955 and maintained residences in New York City; Darien, Connecticut; and Belleville, New Jersey. While little more is known of Mrs. Assheton, she was certainly a wealthy and discerning client, with her order dated December 12, 1956, carrying a handwritten notation for the vehicle to be delivered “…as quickly as possible” on the car’s factory chassis record. As delivered on June 2, 1957, via J.S. Inskip, LSDD146 was equipped with numerous special features, including “Windtone” horns, unique bulbs and lenses for the fog lights and taillamps, summer- and winter-grade radiator thermostats, “puncture-proof tires,” automatic transmission, and power-assisted steering. Mrs. Assheton apparently retained LSDD146 until 1974, when it was purchased by second owner Samuel R. Schwartz of Cedarhurst, New York, an associate in the oil business with her husband. Continuing the history of long-term ownerships, Mr. Schwartz would go on to own the Rolls-Royce for nearly 30 years, and during much of that period, it was on exhibit at the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Automobile Museum in Auburn, Indiana, before finally being donated by him to the museum in 2005.
The Drophead Coupe benefits from an older, high-quality restoration, including the addition of new upholstery in biscuit leather. Much of the original burled walnut woodwork remains and has been refinished, and the car also retains its serial- and body-number plates, as well as the original engine, numbered SD73. At the time of cataloguing, approximately 70,000 miles were recorded.
Included are LSDD146’s correct full-size spare, partial original sets of roadside and hand tools, copies of its build sheets, and ownership information supplied by the Rolls-Royce Foundation. This Drophead Coupe offers an extremely rare opportunity to acquire a distinguished example with limited ownership, quality presentation, and uncommon integrity to enjoy and appreciate.