Auctions and Brokerage
This BMW 501 A from 1958 was discovered in 2005 in Brussels, Belgium. Following an inspection by a friend and BMW 502 owner in the area, it was purchased by a highly regarded and prolific BMW collector from Colorado. Prior to importation to the US, it was sent to Erwin Brummer and Son, the renowned BMW restorers located south of Munich, for thorough evaluation. Following the owner’s decision to completely restore the 501 A to its former glory, the Brummers were commissioned to restore the car’s entire drivetrain, brakes, and electrical system, while restoration of the 501’s body and luxurious interior was entrusted to another noted marque specialist, Marek Matejcek of Pilsen in the Czech Republic. The result of the restoration is an outstanding and exactingly correct example of the regal and historic BMW 501. Desirable additional features include a Becker Mexico radio, VDO outside-temperature thermometer, and a full Golde sliding canvas sunroof.
Since the restoration was completed and since its recent acquisition by the consignor, the 501 has received excellent care, proper storage, and limited use to preserve the freshness of the restoration. In addition, the 501 has recently received thorough tuning in preparation for sale. A well-known car in BMW Classic Car Club of America circles, this 501 has also been hailed by marque expert Goetz Pfafflin as “...very likely the best restored Baroque Angel in the U.S. today.” Accompanying the sale of the 501 is a comprehensive dossier containing history, restoration records, and receipts. Whether wishing to complete an early BMW V-8 collection or add one to the stable, a collector would have to search long and far to locate a finer example. Only the best and most respected classic BMW restorers have worked on this 501 A and, as offered, it remains museum-quality and will certainly be a strong entry at any concours event the new owner should choose to enter.
The "Baroque Angel"
Introduced at the 1951 Frankfurt Motor Show and entering full production the next year, the BMW 501 was the cornerstone of the venerable Bavarian marque’s postwar era. Affectionately nicknamed “Barockenangel” or “Baroque Angel” in recognition of its flowing, gently rounded body lines, the 501 paid homage to the prewar BMW models while featuring a longer and wider body. Solidly built, comfortable, and elegant, the 501 was priced to match and begat the 502 V-8 of 1954, which formed the basis for the even more exclusive Count Albrecht Goertz-penned 503 and 507. The basic 501 design was segmented into the topline 501 A and de-contented 501 B forms, providing two price points. Further development included 2.6- and 3.2-liter V-8 power to remain BMW’s mainstay large model through 1963, notwithstanding the 1961 launch of the revolutionary and immensely successful “Neue Klasse” four- cylinder sedan line.