Auctions and Brokerage
*Please note this vehicle is titled 1960.
Inspired by George Phillips’ MG TD-based 1951 Le Mans special and refined by Sydney Enever and his design team, the MGA debuted in September 1955 as a radical departure for MG. Successful experiments with a supercharged twin-cam engine and the desire for a competition-oriented model spurred development of the MGA Twin-Cam, released for sale in early 1958. A significant performance leap, the 1,600 cc twin-cam engine delivered top speeds in excess of 110 mph, matched by improved gearbox ratios, a higher final drive, Dunlop four-wheel disc brakes, and strong yet lightweight disc-type “knock-off” wheels. Only 2,111 Twin-Cam MGAs were built through early 1960, and the model remains one of the most coveted and satisfying British sports cars produced.
According to its accompanying British Motor Industry Heritage Trust Certificate, this 1958 MGA Twin-Cam Roadster is an original left-hand-drive export model completed during late October 1958. Factory equipment included Dunlop center-lock disc wheels; Dunlop four-wheel disc brakes; a heater; and black tonneau cover, with the MGA finished in Orient Red with black upholstery, the colors it displays today. In 2012, this rare MG was given a complete restoration by Twin-Cam specialist Jim Alcorn’s Auto Vintagery of La Jolla, California. Less than 500 miles have been traveled since completion of the work, and the Twin-Cam has enjoyed fastidious care and proper storage. Complete with books, tools, and a tonneau cover, this rare and charismatic MGA Twin-Cam is a versatile British sports car that can be enjoyed on the show lawn and the open road.