Auctions and Brokerage
Coachwork by Reutter
*Please note that this vehicle has been in long-term static storage and may not be currently operational. It will require mechanical attention prior to road use.
The 356 A, produced from 1955 through 1959, remains the most sought-after and collectible variation of Porsche’s first production car. Of the three body styles offered, the Cabriolet was the most expensive open model, a more luxurious complement to the elemental Speedster.
Completed in July 1958, this Cabriolet is a T-2 example distinguished by its tear-drop taillights, shine-up license plate light, and rear bumper guards with integrated exhaust passages. According to a copy of the original Porsche Kardex, this 356 A was equipped for the US market and delivered to Hoffman Motors in New York. When new, it was finished in the classic color combination of Silver Metallic over red.
The Porsche’s first known owner was Milton Litwiller of Bradenton, Florida, who acquired the car by April 1961. Presumably during his ownership, the rocker panels were crudely repaired and the body was refinished in red. Last registered in 1976, the Cabriolet has remained in static storage for decades, parked alongside Mr. Litwiller’s Super 90 Coupe (Lot 166).
Retaining its original, matching-numbers engine and equipped with an optional factory hardtop as well as a Becker radio, this long-lost 356 A Cabriolet is a worthy candidate for a comprehensive show-quality restoration. Given its appealing factory specification and long-term ownership, this remarkable find is sure to pique the interest of Porsche enthusiasts the world over.