Auctions and Brokerage
*Please note that this vehicle is a 1960 and titled as a 1961.
Dr. A.D. Duggan, Washington, Georgia (purchased new July 1960)Michael Abramson, Wilmette, Illinois (acquired from the above)Ken and Ann Smith, La Jolla, CaliforniaCurrent Owner (acquired from the above)
As the final development of Jaguar’s XK120, the XK150 debuted in 1957 with updated bodywork and myriad refinements. By late 1959, the upsized 3.8-litre engine supplemented the 3.4-litre unit. Then capable of exceeding 130 mph, the XK150 delivered stopping power to match, gaining fame as the world’s first production car to be equipped with race-bred four-wheel disc brakes.
While it infused the XK150 with the many lessons learned on racing circuits and rally stages, Jaguar turned away from “works” racing after the triumphs and tragedies of the 1955 season and the devastating Browns Lane fre in 1957. Nonetheless, Jaguar methodically developed the XK150 into a fast, capable, and well-equipped machine. While the XK150 was intended from the outset as a swift grand touring-oriented machine without racing aspirations, it was campaigned by a few committed privateer teams to good efect. Notable XK150 race appearances include the GT-class win in the 1960 edition of Holland’s Tulip Rally. Stateside, rising sports car ace Walt Hansgen drove a stock XK150 – in uprated “S” tune – to a 3rd place podium finish at Bridgehampton, New York, in June 1960.
A glorious swan song before the E-Type’s March 1961 debut, the XK150 remains as attractive and capable today as ever. Only 9,395 were built in all, including just 2,682 Drophead Coupes, with only 586 of them powered by the dual-carbureted, 220 hp, 3.8-litre engine.
According to its JDHT Certificate, this striking late-production XK150 3.8-Litre Drophead Coupe was factory-fitted with overdrive, completed during January 1960, and purchased new by Dr. A.D. Duggan. A man of many talents, Dr. Duggan served as a US Navy medical officer, submariner, and deep-sea diver during WWII, going on to become a respected neurosurgeon in Georgia following the war’s end. Prior to the consignor’s acquisition, this XK150 was owned and shown by two well-respected Jaguar collectors.
Following a two-and-a-half-year restoration by Jaguar specialists Jim and Gary Kakuska of Oswego, Illinois’s JK Restorations, the XK150 was shown very successfully under JCNA judging, earning a perfect 100-point score at the July 30, 2011, Illinois Jaguar Club Concours according to JCNA concours results. Other outstanding results included a 99.930-point score at the July 9, 2011, JCNA Challenge Championship Concours and a 99.940-point score at the July 31, 2010, Illinois Jaguar Club Concours.
Resplendent in Imperial Maroon livery and a tan top over biscuit hides, this wonderful XK150 is offered complete with its corresponding JDHT Certificate, owner’s manual, tools, and matching fitted luggage. Eligible for numerous concours and classic rally events, it delivers tremendous presence and capably marks the final expression of one of the finest sports car designs ever conceived.