Auctions and Brokerage
In the mid-1950s, MG’s experimental racing department began developing a competition version of the engine that powered the popular MGA. That work culminated in the 1958 debut of the MGA Twin-Cam, which delivered roughly 60% more power than the base model and was built in a quantity of 2,111 examples through early 1960. Approximately 1,788 cars were bodied as roadsters, and the open Twin-Cam has since evolved into the most collectible of the MGA variants, offering style and performance.
According to a BMHT certificate, chassis YD3/734 was built in October 1958 and immediately dispatched to the US. The roadster was desirably equipped with center-locking disc wheels and four-wheel Dunlop disc brakes, and was finished in Old English White paint over a black interior.
In the mid-1980s, the Twin-Cam was reportedly acquired as a project by a Seattle-based marque enthusiast. Several members of the local MG club assisted with a complete refurbishment that returned the roadster to concours-ready condition, after which the car was enjoyed at local events and club gatherings. Passing through the respected collection of Joe McMurrey in 2012, the MGA is now offered in a period-appropriate “club racing” configuration with a grille-mounted spotlamp and an Auster windscreen; the original windscreen is included. The Twin-Cam has been recently serviced, is accompanied by manuals and a tool kit, and presents as an exceptional example.