Auctions and Brokerage
Rooted in the sleek, envelope-bodied TD roadster designed by Syd Enever and secretly built for privateer racer George Phillips’ 1951 Le Mans entry, the MGA ushered in a new era for MG. While purists were shocked, enthusiasts received a preview of the MGA prior to its official unveiling at Frankfurt when three alloy-bodied prototypes were entered at Le Mans in 1955. Debuting with a solid competition pedigree, the MGA’s acceptance was assured, with the vast majority of cars earmarked for North America.
This original left-hand-drive, North American Export coupe was completed during late February 1959 and equipped with wire wheels, a heater, adjustable steering column, and windscreen washers. A nut-and-bolt restoration was performed in 2006 and 2007 by Lander’s Antique Autos of Elyria, Ohio, followed by limited use and meticulous care and storage.
Finished in British Racing Green with excellent brightwork over Camel upholstery, the MGA includes a correct radio, spare-tire assembly, and period driving accessories, with the “time trials” theme underscored by driving lamps, racing-number roundels, and a stopwatch. Wonderfully presented and highly engaging, this MGA 1500 coupe is accompanied by restoration invoices and photographs, original books, tools, and a British Motor Industry Heritage Trust certificate. An excellent postwar sporting entry, this MGA is primed for entry into a multitude of classic events.