Auctions and Brokerage
*Please note that this car is titled 1960.
Briggs S. Cunningham, New York, New York (acquired new in September 1959)A. Cecil Schoeneman, Sioux Falls, South Dakota (acquired from the above in February 1961)Steven A. Wacholtz, Spokane, Washington (acquired from the above in March 1971)Dr. John Hunholz, Snohomish, Washington (acquired circa 1971)Current Owner (acquired from the estate of the above)
12 Hours of Sebring, Sebring, Florida, March 1960, Denise McCluggage/Marianne Windridge, No. 64 (DNF)
Founded near Bologna during late 1947 by Ernesto, Ettore, and Bindo Maserati, OSCA quickly established an outstanding competition record, as its cars were campaigned at top international events by the era’s finest drivers and racing teams. Among OSCA’s many successes was a brilliant overall win at the 1954 12 Hours of Sebring in an MT4 owned by legendary racer and sportsman Briggs Cunningham. The victory cemented Cunningham’s regard for the brothers’ cars, and likely inspired the purchase of the 1959 OSCA Tipo S sports racer offered here.
Bearing chassis no. 767, this Tipo S was purchased by Cunningham and delivered new to Alfred Momo’s Momo Corporation in New York City. Originally powered by a Tipo 273 1,100 cc engine, it was refitted with engine no. 771, a 750 cc Tipo 187N unit, and prepared by Momo for Cunningham. Documented as such in OSCA: La Rivincita Dei Maserati, and by correspondence on file between Momo, Cunningham, and the subsequent owner, 767 was also intensively researched by noted authority János Wimpffen. According to Mr. Wimpffen, while Cunningham owned several OSCAs in period, no. 767 possibly raced at six events during 1959. Most likely, it was raced on September 6 and 7 at the Thompson, Connecticut, SCCA Nationals, driven by Phil Forno.
No. 767’s most significant race outing must certainly be at the 1960 12 Hours of Sebring. Earlier that year, Cunningham loaned 767 to noted journalist and highly successful racing driver Denise McCluggage. While still finished in Team Cunningham livery, 767 was entered at Sebring by Lloyd “Lucky” Casner’s Camoradi racing team. Co-driven by McCluggage and Marianne Windridge, aka “Pinkie Rollo,” the OSCA suffered cooling issues, forcing its retirement. According to Mr. Wimpffen, it appears that 767 was not used further by the Cunningham team post-Sebring, consistent with Momo’s letter on file dated November 16, 1960, which states: “The car has been recently overhauled. It was raced at Sebring but ran short of water. The engine was returned to the factory in Bologna and completely overhauled and now is just like new. …”
Following extensive correspondence with Momo and Cunningham during late 1960 and early 1961, A. Cecil Schoeneman, a forestry businessman and amateur racer from Sioux Falls, South Dakota, purchased both OSCA 767 and 758, documented by a Bill of Sale dated February 9, 1961, which accompanies the OSCA at auction. Mr. Schoeneman raced 767 and/or its sister car from 1961 through 1963 in 11 events, with best results including 2nd Overall at the 1962 Alliance, Kansas, SCCA Regionals, 2nd Overall at the 1962 Greenwood, Iowa, Inaugural Race, 1st Overall the next day in the Greenwood Nationals, and 3rd Overall at the 1963 Lake Garnett Nationals.
In March 1971, 767 was acquired from Mr. Schoeneman by Steven Wacholtz of Spokane, Washington, passing shortly thereafter to Dr. John Hunholz of Snohomish, Washington. Dr. Hunholz restored the car with his son and retained the OSCA for the next four decades, until the consignor acquired it from the Hunholz estate in August 2015.
As offered, OSCA 767 is highly engaging in its period Team Cunningham livery with a wraparound racing windscreen. The engine – an 860 cc OSCA Tipo 187 unit, numbered 758, that is believed to have been in the car when purchased by Dr. Hunholz – was recently and expertly rebuilt by Vintage Racing Motors in Redmond, Washington, including new pistons and rings, camshafts, bearings, gaskets, and oil plumbing. With included invoices totaling over $80,000, this thorough work also included the rebuilding of the brakes, rear axle, fuel system and smooth-case Sprite gearbox, in addition to fitment of correct interior panels, gauges, and sourcing of rare and appropriate sandcast Weber carburetors. New tires were installed on the OSCA’s five rare 14" Borrani wire wheels. Well-documented from new, 767 presents well, having seen little use after restoration.
Highly desirable and offering many outstanding possibilities for use on the road and track, this ex-Cunningham OSCA Tipo S is eligible for some of today’s most compelling classic touring and competition events.