Auctions and Brokerage
Coachwork by Touring
Ernest Swigert, Portland, Oregon (acquired new in April 1960)Earl Grove, Portland, Oregon (acquired from the above by 1972)John Jordan, Potomac, Maryland (acquired in 2000 via Jubilee Garage, San Francisco)H.J. Hayes, Illinois (acquired from the above in 2009)Private Collection (acquired from the above in 2012)Current Owner (acquired from the above)
New York International Auto Show, April 1960
Unveiled at the 1958 London Motor Show, the Aston Martin DB4 was the first completely new design since industrialist David Brown assumed control of the company, and a tremendous advance over its predecessor, the highly regarded DB Mk III. In production from October 1958 through June 1963, the DB4 featured a modern chassis with rack and pinion steering, four-wheel disc brakes, and an all-new 3.7-litre dual overhead cam straight six-cylinder engine.
This matching-numbers, factory left-hand-drive DB4, chassis DB4/287/L, is one of only 351 Series II examples that were produced between January 1960 and April 1961. According to the factory build sheet, the original owner, Ernest Swigert of Portland, Oregon, specified his DB4 finished in Snow Shadow Grey paint over a red Connolly leather interior, with additional extras such as a radio, chrome wire wheels, and a 3.54:1 differential ratio. Before being delivered, the car was chosen by J.S. Inskip, the famed American importer, for display at the 1960 New York International Auto Show, delaying Mr. Swigert’s delivery but granting this DB4 rare and significant provenance.
After a series of subsequent owners, the Aston Martin passed to John Jordan of Potomac, Maryland, in 2000. Mr. Jordan commissioned a body restoration and bare-metal repaint in 2001 by McCabe Automotive Restoration of Mundelein, Illinois, as well as significant refurbishment of the chassis in 2005 by Treasured Motorcar Services of Reisterstown, Maryland, a process that totaled over $41,000. The engine was sent to Motorman Engineering Ltd. in England for rebuilding and conversion to 4.2-litre specification with three SU carburetors. Motorman’s work, documented at $30,000, produced an outstanding 303 bhp at 5,500 rpm, a useful increase over the standard car.
Acquired by its next owner in 2009, the DB4 was graced with further restorative work, including new exterior brightwork, a refurbished interior, and new glass. Under its current ownership, thorough detailing and extensive mechanical sorting by Aston Martin of New England ensure that this DB4’s increased displacement and triple SU setup make it a capable and comfortable event car. Black wire wheels and new tires were added as well.
A large history file contains receipts for work performed over the past 15 years, build sheet, copies of the original order letter, and correspondence among the original owner, dealer, and the Newport Pagnell factory. A set of chrome wheels is included with the car, as are a tool roll and owner’s handbook.
As functional as it was beautiful, the DB4 was considered by many to be the best all- around GT car of its time. This extraordinarily well-sorted DB4 stands ready to thrill its next owner.