Auctions and Brokerage
Coachwork by Pinin Farina
Jean de Toledo, Geneva, Switzerland (acquired new in 1960)Rolf Haider, Stockholm, Sweden (acquired in 1969)Leif Lademark, Sweden (acquired in 1969)Peter Lindkvist, Sweden (acquired in 1972)Sven Andersson, Säro, Sweden (acquired in 1973)Mr. Fehn, Lerum, Sweden (acquired in 1974)Tord Albinsson, Gotland, Sweden (acquired in December 1974)Leif Wahlström, Bjärred, Sweden (acquired circa 1978)Leif Nilsson, Sweden (acquired circa 1984)Glen Kalil, Palm City, Florida (acquired circa 1984)Graber Automobile A.G., Wichtrach, Switzerland (acquired in March 1990)Oldtimer Garage Ltd., Toffen, Switzerland (acquired circa 1991)Peter Zwahlen, Ittigen, Switzerland (acquired in 1992)Jonas Liden, Stocksund, Sweden (acquired in December 1999)Jean Guikas, Marseilles, France (acquired from the above in February 2000)Pierre Coquet, France (acquired from the above in March 2000)Jean Guikas, Marseilles, France (acquired from the above in November 2001)Larry Nelson, Pennsylvania (acquired from the above circa 2002)Current Owner (acquired from the above)
Geneva Motor Show, Geneva, Switzerland, March 1960
This well-maintained example of Ferrari’s esteemed 250 GT Pinin Farina Cabriolet is one of the most significant of the estimated 200 examples built, as it is the very car Ferrari used to introduce the model to the world at the 1960 Geneva Motor Show.
According to the research of Swiss Ferrari historian Marcel Massini, chassis no. 1695 GT entered the Pinin Farina plant for coachwork on December 1, 1959, and was the fourth example completed. Equipped with a tipo 128E outside-plug engine and specified for the European market with instruments in kilometers, the Cabriolet was finished in the attractive color scheme of Verde Scuro (dark green) paint with an interior trimmed in Marrone (brown) leather. On March 2, 1960, the car was completed at the factory, and shortly thereafter delivered to official Ferrari concessionaire Garage de Montchoisy in Switzerland.
On March 10, 1960, this Ferrari was presented at the 30th Annual Geneva Motor Show, where it was staged with two other 250 GTs, a Short-Wheelbase Berlinetta, and a California Spider. Several period photographs document the cabriolet’s international debut, and a picture of 1695 GT at Geneva appears in Ferrari’s 1960 Yearbook. Later that year, the Ferrari was sold to its first owner of record, Swiss pharmaceutical entrepreneur and politician Jean de Toledo, who retained possession through 1962.
In early 1963, the car was registered to an owner in Sweden, and it passed through several Swedish caretakers over the following 15 years, including Sven Andersson, who repainted the car in red and reupholstered the interior in black leather in 1973. By 1978, the cabriolet was owned by fellow Swede Leif Wahlström; he remained the car’s caretaker through early 1984, when it was acquired by Glen Kalil of Palm City, Florida.
During the mid-to late-1980s, the Ferrari passed through several well-known dealerships in the southeastern US, including Shelton Ferrari in Ft. Lauderdale and Foreign Cars Italia in Greensboro, North Carolina.
In 1989, the cabriolet was exported to Europe when purchased by a Swiss citizen, returning the Ferrari to the country in which it was first introduced and owned. Around this time, the Ferrari was pictured in issue no. 26 of the Japanese magazine Scuderia. The following March, the 250 GT passed to Ulrich Guggisberg’s Graber Automobile A.G., in Wichtrach, Switzerland, the descendent of the famed coachbuilder Graber (which provided bodies for luxury marques such as Bentley, Bugatti, and Alvis, among others). Graber had become an official Ferrari dealer in 1980. In 1991, the company consolidated its operations in nearby Toffen, and the cabriolet was registered to Oldtimer Garage before passing to Swiss collector Peter Zwahlen in 1992. Zwahlen went on to retain possession for at least seven years.
In December 1999, the Ferrari was offered at auction at the Palace Hotel in Gstaad, Switzerland, where it was acquired by Jonas Liden, a resident of Stocksund, Sweden. A year later, Mr. Liden traded the car to Jean Guikas’ GTC in Marseilles, France, as partial exchange for a 250 GT Interim Berlinetta. Cannizzaro Automobiles in Marseilles then continued cosmetic work that had already begun under Mr. Liden’s ownership.
In March 2000, the restored car was purchased by Pierre Coquet of France, at which point the odometer still displayed just 60,000 km. During the late summer of 2000, Carrosserie Scoffier in Nice repainted the body in the current shade of Grigio Scuro (dark gray). Around this time, the Ferrari was photographed for a feature article that ran in the June 2001 issue of the British magazine Classic & Sports Car. When GTC reacquired the car in November 2001, it showed approximately 65,000 km.
By early 2002, the Ferrari was purchased by Larry Nelson, an American collector who had discovered the car while living in Germany. After Mr. Nelson returned the car to the US, he drove it minimally and rarely showed it in public. While the maintained Grigio Scuro paint remains quite presentable, the cabriolet evidences subtle cosmetic details of its past, with the original factory-applied Verde Scuro paint still apparent in certain areas. Additionally, the engine is the correct, matching-numbers unit, as confirmed by the pad and internal number stampings.
Remarkably, this important Pinin Farina Cabriolet has not been publicly offered in the US for 27 years and presents a rare opportunity for Ferrari collectors, given its fascinating early show history and distinguished provenance. As one of the first 100 examples of the Series II Pinin Farina Cabriolet, 1695 GT features a dashboard layout particular to the earliest cars, as well as the original mechanical configuration employing Houdaille shock absorbers. These features have come to be particularly desirable among aficionados of the model, and make the earlier examples more coveted in many respects.
As presented today, 1695 GT would make a fantastic candidate for a concours-level restoration. With its unique identity as Ferrari’s 1960 Geneva show car, this cabriolet has an important place within the marque’s history, which in combination with a potential high-level restoration should make it nearly irresistible to judges and historians. Whatever its future holds, this Series II Cabriolet would substantially enhance any collection, particularly those focused on the finest Pinin Farina-bodied Ferraris.