Auctions and Brokerage
Castle Family, Fort Lauderdale, Florida (believed owned from new)Current Owner (acquired from the above)
Between 1955 and 1963, Mercedes-Benz produced more than 25,000 of the universally popular 190 SL. Its twin carbureted 1,897 cc four-cylinder engine produced 105 hp with a top speed of 110 mph.
This 1960 190 SL presents today as a beautifully restored example. While there is minimal documentation of provenance, it is believed that the car has had unusually limited ownership during its 54 years. It is also believed that the roadster was first delivered in black and held by its first owner until the current owner purchased it in Fort Lauderdale in 2010, from the son and daughter of the family.
The current owner placed the 190 SL with Platinum Restoration of Pompano Beach, Florida, where it underwent a stringent restoration process. The body was finished in Mercedes-Benz Hellgrün or “light green” (DB274) with a new red leather interior and dark green German canvas top – a classic and eye-catching combination. The car is accompanied by a 190 SL custom three-piece luggage set in tan and red leather, tools, books, service and parts receipts, as well as a logbook, which records gas, service, and mileage in the prior owner’s handwriting.
A 190 SL such as the example offered here is the perfect choice for open-air outings, where its German build quality can be enjoyed. Likewise, its mid-century design is sure to be appreciated on the concours field as well.