Auctions and Brokerage
While the new MGA may have shocked some purists in 1955 with its sleek envelope bodywork, a preview came in 1951 when George Phillips raced a re-bodied TD at Le Mans. Top BMC management initially rejected a production version, but subsequent approval was spurred by the obsolescence of the much-loved TD.
Prior to the MGA’s official launch, three aluminum-bodied prototypes competed in the 24 Hours of Le Mans. Two finished the punishing race, further endowing the new MG’s international racing pedigree. Refinements included the addition of a fixed head coupe in 1956, the rare twin-cam in 1959, and the uprated MGA 1600 by 1960. MGA production ended in 1962 with the debut of the MGB.
Acquired by the consignor in 1994, this 1960 MGA Roadster was given a complete restoration by Barry Briskman of Scottsdale, Arizona, who completed the work in 1996. The handsome red livery has been enhanced by black leather upholstery complete with weather gear, including a matching soft top, side curtains, and tonneau cover. Since a peppier 1,800 cc MGB-type engine was already fitted at the time of the car’s purchase, it was retained as a thoughtful upgrade. Other highlights include a modern sealed-type battery, trickle charger, seat belts, plus an oil cooler and coolant-overflow tank. Continuing to show very well, this 1960 MGA capably represents the first modern postwar MG sports car and marks an ideal classic MG find.