Auctions and Brokerage
While the new MGA may have shocked some purists in 1955 with its sleek envelope bodywork, a preview had already come in 1951 when George Phillips raced a re-bodied TD at Le Mans. Top BMC management initially rejected a production version, but subsequent approval was spurred by the obsolescence of the much-loved TD.
Prior to the MGA’s official launch, three aluminum-bodied prototypes competed in the 24 Hours of Le Mans. Two finished the grueling race, further cementing the new MG’s international racing pedigree. Refinements included the addition of a Fixed Head Coupe in 1956 and the uprated MGA 1600 by 1960.
Acquired by the previous owner in 1994, this 1960 MGA Roadster was given a complete restoration by Barry Briskman of Scottsdale, Arizona, who completed the work in 1996. The MGA’s handsome red livery is complemented by black leather upholstery. Since a more sporting 1,800 cc MGB-type engine was already fitted at the time of the car’s purchase, it was retained as a thoughtful upgrade. Other highlights include an oil cooler and coolant overflow tank. Continuing to show well and kept within the consignor’s highly focused collection, this 1960 MGA capably represents the first modern postwar MG sports car.