Auctions and Brokerage
Coachwork by Zagato
Sr. Mercurelli, Italy (acquired new via factory in 1962)Cavallaro Carlo Alberto, Italy (acquired from the above in 1970)Bellancanto S.p.a. – Fabrizio Violati, Italy (acquired from the above in 1978)Mario Alberto Addis, Vicenza, Italy (acquired from the above in 1988)Don Polak, Nashville, Tennessee (acquired from the above in 2007)Steve Patti, Boerne, Texas (acquired from the above in 2009)Current Owner (acquired from the above in 2012)
Greenwich Concours d’Elegance, Connecticut, 2014 (First in Class)The Quail, A Motorsports Gathering, Carmel Valley, 2017Tour Auto, France, 2018Modena Cento Ore, 2018 (8th Overall)
In 1947, the Maserati brothers, who had sold their eponymous company 10 years earlier, began a new venture – Officine Specializzate Construzione Automobili, or OSCA – to build competition cars. Economics, however, dictated a return to constructing small-displacement road cars in a limited quantity. Today, these vehicles are still prized for their jewel-like precision and performance.
The car offered here, chassis 006, is an early example of these limited-production coupes and is one of approximately 100 Zagato-bodied cars that were slated to be produced. But Steve Patti, a previous owner of this car, along with several scholars, have only identified 60 chassis sold, of which 31 are believed to be surviving today. Designed by the legendary Ercole Spada, the construction utilized hand-formed lightweight alloy coachwork over a tube-frame assembly. Its iconic “double-bubble” roofline is both distinctive and functional, providing extra headroom for taller drivers while incorporating air extractors to shed cabin heat during racing conditions.
According to ACI records on file and research compiled by Mr. Patti, the 1600 GT had only two owners before being acquired by Bellancanto S.p.a., the racing team of famed Ferrari collector Fabrizio Violati. Beginning in 2009, Mr. Patti commissioned a renowned Ferrari restorer to rebuild its original, 125 hp specification engine and gearbox. The painstaking rebuild reportedly utilized custom CP pistons and Carrillo connecting rods, which were shaved for reduced weight before being blueprinted and balanced. Rare NOS parts, including the flywheel, ring gear, water pump impeller, and oil pump gears, were sourced and included in the comprehensive rebuild.
Also fitted was a handmade reproduction wiring harness from Italy, an oil cooler, and mechanically restored gauges. The interior was retrimmed with evocative diamond-quilted upholstery and competition-style lightweight bucket seats inspired by the Alfa SZ. Today, the OSCA still wears original cast-magnesium Amadori wheels. Mr. Patti assembled extensive photos of 006’s restoration to serve as a photobase resource for the model.
In 2012, the consignor, the former head of the Americas for one of Germany’s largest auto manufacturers, commissioned work to the car’s suspension and steering, as well as a bare-metal restoration of 006’s coachwork and paint, closely replicating the original red color as found under a piece of the car’s molding. The consignor reports that over $300,000 has been spent on the restoration of this exotic, event-eligible grand tourer, which has appeared in a magazine feature, international historic rallies, and prestigious concours events. The OSCA is accompanied by numerous parts, original brochures, spare tire, jack, restoration records, and photos. Rare, potent, and beautiful, this Zagato-bodied OSCA would certainly be a jewel in any collector’s crown.