Auctions and Brokerage
Coachwork by Touring
This rare factory-equipped left-hand-drive DB5 is a premium example, featuring a beautiful cosmetic restoration, desirable original options, the most sought-after specifications, and recent ownership by two significant collectors of David Brown Aston Martins. According to a certified copy of factory records issued by the British Motor Industry Heritage Trust, chassis no. 1847/L completed assembly at the Newport-Pagnell plant on November 23, 1964. Finished in Dubonnet paint with a black leather interior, the car was equipped with several prized options, including Normalair air-conditioning, detachable headrests, chrome road wheels, the engine breather valve scheme, and a Bosch Koln TR radio with powered antenna.
Dispatched for retail on November 26 to the R & J Dick Company, 1847/L was sold to Leslie Pouch of Staten Island, New York, and delivered on February 23, 1965. Remaining in the US for over 30 years, this exceptional DB5 was clearly involved with enthusiasts of highline motoring. It was presented at the 1985 Lime Rock Concours d’ Elegance by an owner named Davie as recorded in an Aston Martin Owner’s Club registry. By the late 1990s, this DB5 was acquired by a principal at Banque Syz – a private banking concern in Switzerland – and imported to Europe.
Not long after, 1847/L was discovered by Jean-Pierre Slavic, a Swiss watch manufacturer who maintains a significant collection of the most compelling post-war sports cars. Initially focusing on Ferraris, Mr. Slavic commissioned a purpose-built underground car museum in the mid-1980s near the shores of Lake Leman, not far from Geneva, to house his private collection.
At times housing such blue-chip Ferraris as the venerated 250 GTO and the 166 Mille Miglia, his collection has also included some of the greatest Italian-bodied Aston Martins, including a DB4GT and a DB4GT Zagato, each extremely rare in its own right. Seeking to supplement his extraordinary collection, Mr. Slavic purchased this DB5 in 2000, after which he treated the car to a thorough mechanical freshening as well as a repaint in the classic Aston Martin shade of Silver Birch, an homage to the livery of the famed Goldfinger car.
Offered for sale in 2011, 1847/L was purchased by the consignor, a well-known East Coast enthusiast. Having specialized in Ferraris and Aston Martins for many years, the owner possessed particular expertise with DB4 and DB5 series cars, making him ideally qualified to undertake sympathetic restoration measures at his facility; in this case, it principally consisted of a quality reupholstering of the interior in black leather. Carefully maintained since this work was completed, the beautiful ly detailed DB5 resounds with gentlemanly panache, per fectly embodying Aston Martin’s trademark sophistication.
Dutifully maintained and detailed with magnificent care ever since, 1847/L is a sensational example of Aston Martin’s most famed model. This DB5 is particularly notable for being a rare factory left-handdrive car, a configuration that accounted for only a quarter of overall saloon production, which itself was only a modest 886 cars built over 27 months. With desirable options such as factory air-conditioning and the iconic presentation in Silver Birch, this car bears all of the finest qualities that have come to be associated with the DB5. A superb example of this most famous Aston Martin model, 1847/L is optimally poised for concours presentation or vintage touring, and its appearance at auction represents an exciting opportunity to acquire one of the world’s most beloved automobiles.