Auctions and Brokerage
Coachwork by Designed by Pininfarina Coachwork by Scaglietti
The 1965 Paris Motor Show Car
The Alloy Berlinetta
The thoroughbred bloodline of the 12-cylinder Ferrari Berlinetta dates back to the original Tipo 166 of 1947. As Ferrari evolved, so too did its competition-bred Berlinetta, and a remarkable variety of purpose-built models were introduced throughout the early 1950s, from the elegant Touring-bodied 212 Exports to the exceptionally powerful Pinin Farina-bodied 375 MMs.
Following the introduction of the 250 MM in 1953, the Ferrari Berlinetta evolved in a more continuous fashion, with subtle refinements perfected through experience in racing. The 250 GT Tour de France, built between 1956 and 1959, was the ultimate dual-purpose sports car of the 1950s and its sporting fastback design defined the appearance of every subsequent front-engined Berlinetta.
In the 1960s, a dual-purpose Ferrari Berlinetta would have possessed the following characteristics: a rugged, raceproven chassis; a beautifully built and highly tuned overhead-cam V-12 engine leading the way; a battery of Weber twin-choke carburetors; disc brakes at all four corners; and a clean, two-seat body designed by Pininfarina and hand-beaten in aluminum by Scaglietti.
These qualities are shared by some of the most important Ferraris ever built – the 250 GT SWB Comp/60 and Comp/61, the 250 GTO, the 275 GTB/C, the 330 LMB, and a limited number of road-going 275 GTBs and GTB/4s.
The Ferrari presented here is a prime example of what many would consider one of the greatest sports cars of the 1960s – the alloy-bodied 275 GTB. Although the exact numbers vary by source, it is generally accepted that Ferrari built between 24 and 30 examples of these exotic, lightweight 275 GTBs at the request of important clients.
The history of this car begins on July 27, 1965, when Ferrari delivered the completed chassis of 07887 to Carrozzeria Scaglietti in Modena for coachwork. The craftsmen at Scaglietti, who, for more than a decade, designed and built racing bodies for Ferrari, fashioned this handsome second-series long-nose body from lightweight aluminum.
As one the first alloy-bodied Long Nose Berlinettas, this car was originally equipped with a rare combination of features. According to copies of the original factory build sheets, 07887 was specified with three Weber 40 DCZ/6 carburetors, instrumentation in miles, Koni shock absorbers, Pirelli tires, and 14" x 6.5" Campagnolo cast alloy wheels.
Finished in the classic Italian livery of Rosso Chiaro with black upholstery, 07887 made its public debut on the Franco-Britannic Autos Ltd. stand at the prestigious 1965 Paris Motor Show, held between October 7th and 17th.
Following its promotional duties in Paris, 07887 returned to the factory where it was prepared for delivery to Luigi Chinetti Motors, the official US Ferrari importer. Upon its arrival in the US, the alloy-bodied 275 GTB was sold to its first private owner, Mr. Haas of New York.
In the early 1970s, the 275 GTB passed through Joe Marchetti’s International Autos, Ltd. in Chicago; and, in 1972, William Charles Kidd of Toronto, Ontario, purchased the Ferrari. In May 1974, Canadian collector and vintage racer Aldo Bigioni discovered the alloy-bodied GTB at Yonge Steeles Motors in Thornhill, Ontario. At the time, the 275 GTB was “barely a used car” and its $12,500 asking price included a fresh respray in red.
For nearly two decades, the alloy-bodied Ferrari remained in the care of the Bigioni family, serving as a favored weekend driver as well as an occasional show car. It wasn’t until the early 1990s that the Ferrari was included in a trade deal and regretfully sold on.
In 1994, 07887 arrived in Southern California and eventually sold to Ferrari enthusiast Neil Afromsky of Los Alamitos. Although Symbolic Motors had already carried out a light refurbishment prior to his acquisition, Mr. Afromsky entrusted the 275 GTB to Norbert Hofer’s Grand Touring Classics Inc. in Long Beach, California, for a comprehensive showquality restoration.
During this process, the major mechanical systems were rebuilt or serviced as needed and the chassis was meticulously prepared to the highest concours standards. As this work was being carried out, legendary painter Junior Conway of Junior’s House of Colors refinished the bare aluminum coachwork in Fly Yellow and the interior was upholstered in black with contrasting gray carpets.
Throughout the late 1990s and early 2000s, the beautifully restored 275 GTB received a string of impressive awards, a strong testament to its exacting restoration and authentic character.
In August 1998, 07887 debuted at the Carmel Valley Vintage Ferrari Concours held in conjunction with Concorso Italiano and received its first FCA Platinum Award. Four years later, the alloy two cam was exhibited at the FCA North American National Field and Driving Concours at Century City Plaza in Los Angeles, where it received a Gold Award in the competitive 275 GTB and 275 GTB/4 class.
In 2003, Mr. Afromsky sold the 275 GTB to noted collector and vintage racer Nick Colonna of Palos Verdes Estates. That August, Mr. Colonna took part in the Cavallino Classic Concours at Concorso Italiano, where 07887 earned its second FCA Platinum Award. Beyond this successful showing, the competition-bred Ferrari was exhibited at the 2004 FCA International Concours in Monterey and participated in an exclusive track day at Laguna Seca raceway.
More recently, 07887 has been a fixture in John Weinberger’s private, Chicago-based collection of thoroughbred sports cars. During Mr. Weinberger’s ownership, 07887 was inspected and subsequently certified by the Ferrari Classiche Depar tment. According to the certification documents, 07887 retains its original, numbers-matching engine, aluminum coachwork, and other important original features. Only the upgraded six-carburetor intake setup and replacement transaxle(originally no. 383, now no. 381) depart from the original as-delivered specification.
Today, 07887 remains in superb condition throughout and possesses credentials that are sure to impress the most discerning collector. Finished in a splendid color scheme and restored to the highest concours standard by one of the best Ferrari specialists in the US, this alloy-bodied 275 GTB has a visual appeal and preparation that would be difficult to improve upon. Beyond its own exceptional qualities, 07887 is offered with important, valuable accessories such as a tool roll, owner’s handbook, spare parts catalogue, and a set of Borrani wire wheels to complement the Campagnolo alloy wheels currently fitted. The sale of this car also includes the Ferrari Classiche certification book, copies of the factory build sheets, and a history report compiled by marque historian Marcel Massini.
It is little wonder that Ferrari enthusiasts and knowledgeable collectors have always held the alloy-bodied 275 GTBs in such high regard. After all, this is a limited-production Ferrari model that combines the finest Pininfarina design with a beautifully made, competitionproven chassis and a brilliant dynamic character to create a near-perfect dual-purpose sports car. As a result, these rare 275s are found only in the best collections and seldom appear for public sale.
We are proud to present 07887, a superb Ferrari that possesses all the fabulous qualities that have made the 275 GTB a legend amongst classic car enthusiasts. For the collector who has been waiting for the ideal alloy-bodied Berlinetta to become available, we encourage serious consideration of this outstanding example.