Auctions and Brokerage
Coachwork by Pininfarina
*Please note this vehicle is titled 1966 as 275GTS07205.
A Highly Original Example in Superb Factory-Delivered ColorsMr. Arango (acquired new in June 1965)Robert W. Keelips Jr., Connecticut (owned circa 1972)Barrant V. Merrill, New Jersey (acquired from the above circa 1974)Nick Soprano, New York (acquired 2000)Bud Sherrill, North Carolina (acquired April 2002)Current Owner (acquired from the above)
Copperstate 1000, April 2004
Debuting together at the October 1964 Paris Salon, Ferrari’s handsome new 275 GTS Spider and 275 GTB Berlinetta succeeded the outgoing 250 series in one stroke. Technically, they marked a quantum leap forward as the first-ever Ferrari road cars equipped with fully independent suspension; a rear-mounted, five-speed transaxle; and a set of four-wheel disc brakes. Powered by an enlarged 3.3-liter variant of Ferrari’s Gioacchino Colombo-designed single overhead cam V-12 engine, with each cylinder displacing 275 cubic centimeters, the new Ferrari was a revelation to drive, with abundant reserves and a wonderful soundtrack.
Directly replacing the 250 GT Series II Pininfarina Cabriolet, the 275 GTS featured clean and crisply tailored steel bodywork with particularly good assembly quality. While primarily intended as a fast and stylish open touring car, the 275 GTS was in fact a beautifully balanced and formidable performer – capable of sprinting from rest to 60 mph in as little as 6.6 seconds, with top speeds exceeding 140 mph. These sentiments were echoed by film icon Steve McQueen – who at the time owned a 1963 Ferrari 250 Berlinetta Lusso – in the engaging 1966 Sports Illustrated road-test article “A Star Among Fast Friends.”
Just 200 were built during a two-year production run, with most shipped new to the US. From new, 275 GTS owners have formed a veritable “who’s who” of the entertainment and social scenes, including Sir Eric Clapton and Jayne Mansfield.
Numbered 07205, this 275 GTS is the 49th example of the 200 produced. According to its history as – documented by Marcel Massini – the chassis frame was sent to Carrozzeria Pininfarina during March 1965, its engine was assembled in April, and the car was completed on May 21, 1965. Finished in Azzuro with Bleu leather – the colors it presents in today – 07205 was first intended for sale in Italy but was diverted and shipped to the US for eventual sale to its first owner, one Mr. Arango.
Shortly following acquisition 10 years ago, the consignor and 07205 completed the 2004 edition of the Copperstate 1000 tour. In 2007, he drove 07205 through the Rockies and the Cascade Mountains, en route to Pebble Beach, with the car again performing beautifully, even at 100 mph in Nevada’s 100° F heat. During 2007 and 2008, the original Tipo 213 V-12 engine of 07205 was rebuilt by Spencer Guder of Spencer Restoration in Canterbury, Connecticut. Other mechanical attention performed during the long-term consignor’s ownership has comprehensively enhanced the Spider’s touring readiness.
As now offered, 07205 has covered just under 60,000 km and retains the original interior, top, and top boot, as well as an impressive portion of the original Azzuro exterior paint finish. Notwithstanding its thinness and the presence of a few small holes at the top hinges, the consignor has elected to retain the Spider’s irreplaceable original convertible top. Likewise, though the original windshield has suffered a crack due to a stone chip at the upper corner on the passenger side, it remains in place. The consignor has secured a spare NOS windshield, which accompanies the sale of 07205. A highly desirable Blaupunkt “Frankfurt” tri-band radio that was manufactured from 1965–1967 is installed, and a Pininfarina radio blanking plate is included. Accompanied by books and tools, 07205 rides on a complete set of original Borrani wire wheels with Michelin XWX radial tires. This 275 GTS has been cherished by the knowledgeable consignor who, during his decade of ownership, has appreciated the many virtues of this spirited classic open Ferrari.