Auctions and Brokerage
Coachwork by Reutter
Ray Crandall, Los Angeles, California (acquired new via Competition Motors)Dr. Richard Antin and Family (acquired circa 1969)Current Owner (acquired from the above)
The final expression of Porsche’s original model series, the 356 C, debuted for sale in July 1963. While differing little at first glance from the prior 356 B, the new 356 C was carefully refined and improved in many ways. Mechanically, the 356 C marked a forward leap with standard four-wheel disc brakes, new 15" ventilated wheels, suspension tweaks yielding better handling, and deeper, bucket-style reclining seats from Porsche’s recently acquired coachbuilding subsidiary, Reutter.
Engine development was led by Hans Mezger with Porsche’s pushrod-engine lineup reorganized and improved. Among these changes, the 95 hp 1600 SC unit replaced the prior Super 90 as the most powerful pushrod-type engine in Porsche’s road cars, second only to the race-oriented Carrera 2 four cam. In both cases, driveability and performance improved, with the 1600 SC engine capable of propelling the 356 C to speeds of nearly 120 mph. Matched to an all-synchromesh four-speed gearbox, communicative suspension, and sharp steering response, the 356 C provided a thrilling driving experience. Production of the 356 C coupe ended on January 21, 1965, and the last Cabriolet left Porsche’s Zuffenhausen works on April 28, 1965.
This 356 SC Cabriolet, numbered 161043, is accompanied by a copy of the factory Kardex production record and a Porsche Certificate of Authenticity. A very honest and complete example including all five date-coded wheels, 161043 is presented in its striking factory-specified livery of Champagne Yellow (6405) paint over black leatherette upholstery. Completed on August 27, 1964, this 356 was optioned with trim strips, ventilated chrome wheels, and Continental tires. While 161043 was originally equipped with engine no. 715149, according to a note made on the factory Kardex, engine 812151 was installed by Porsche Cars of America on December 4, 1964. The 356 was shipped to Competition Motors of Culver City, California, where it was sold new to Ray Crandall of Los Angeles. Around 1969, 161043 was acquired by Dr. Richard Antin of Beverly Hills, who retained the Porsche until 2006, when it passed to his daughter, a resident of Colorado Springs, Colorado. Confirming its 46 years of single family ownership, the Porsche is accompanied at auction by nearly all registration documents since 1976.
In addition to the manufacturer’s documents accompanying 161043, this Porsche is offered with service invoices, a spare and a jack, a rare original tool kit, an owner’s manual, and tonneau cover. The body and gaps are very straight and consistent, with the factory body numbers present on the hood and deck lid. Beautifully presented and blessed with more than four decades of single family ownership and care, this 1965 Porsche 356 SC Cabriolet is certain to bring its new owner the joy that only an open 356 can provide.