Auctions and Brokerage
Coachwork by Designed by Frua Coachwork by Maggiora
As one of approximately 13 known examples located in the US, this 1967 BMW 1600 GT was originally owned by Mr. Archie Walker, who was the owner of the BMW franchise in Minneapolis at the time. In August 1968, the vehicle was sold to Mr. Walter Zibell of Dellwood, Minnesota, who was known by the subsequent owner to have stored the 1600 GT for much of his tenure, sparingly driving it during the spring and summer months and scrupulously avoiding winter conditions. In April 1979 with 13,000 miles on the odometer, Mr. Zibell sold the car to a friend’s son, who had admired the BMW since Mr. Zibell purchased it in 1968.
In 1982 and at 19,000 original miles, a Colorado-based BMW enthusiast and collector became the fourth owner of this very rare 1600 GT. Requiring nothing more than an exterior refinish and re-chroming of the exterior brightwork, the 1600 GT remained within a remarkable classic BMW collection for the next three decades where it benefitted from excellent care and proper storage. Clearly beloved as the pride of his collection, the 1600 GT was reported as having been “...a fantastic sports car” with very flat cornering and a strong 1600ti engine.
Offered complete with an early journal documenting service and mileage spanning from 1968 to 1972, as well as an original and extremely rare owner’s manual, this 1600 GT is further accompanied by an extensive history file containing records and receipts. Very rare, especially in the US, this outstanding and very well-documented 1600 GT is one of the most attractive classic 1960s BMWs available today, with a fascinating background story, excellent history, a handsome Frua-penned, coachbuilt body, and excellent BMW chassis and power train engineering to match.
The BMW 1600 GT
Launched at the September 1963 Frankfurt Motor Show, the Glas GT fastback coupe was designed by Italy’s Frua coachworks, bodied by the Maggiora coachworks, and produced by small independent Bavarian manufacturer Hans Glas GmbH in Dingolfing, Germany. Despite good sales, the company’s decline prompted the Bavarian government to enlist BMW to take over its operations and maintain employment at Dingolfing.
According to experts, 1,255 unused Glas GT bodies remained after the BMW takeover. Their rear floor pans were modified to accept BMW’s proven rear-suspension system, the Glas front suspension was retained, and the power train of the sporting 1600ti sedan was adapted. In addition, the grille was updated, and circular taillights plus the BMW roundel were added. Detail modifications included relocation of the fuel tank to the trunk floor and an upgrade to 12-volt electrics. From September 1967 through August 1968, just 1,255 BMW 1600 GTs were built, spanning serial numbers W001001 through W002256. Never officially exported to the US, these handsome GTs continue to enchant BMW enthusiasts today.