Auctions and Brokerage
Bernhard Blank, Zürich, Switzerland (acquired new in April 1967)Michael Taradash, Riverside, Connecticut (acquired circa 1984)John Roe and Family, New York, New York (acquired from the above in 1986)Current Owner (acquired from the above)
The Porsche 911 is an undisputed motoring icon and one of the most successful sports cars of all time. While any 911 is inherently desirable, the earliest examples have become increasingly sought after due to their purity of line, lively performance, and vintage character. Of the early short-wheelbase 911 models, the most desirable is the high-performance S variant, introduced for the 1967 model year. With 160 hp, Fuchs alloy wheels, ventilated disc brakes, and improved suspension, the original 911 S was one of the most capable sports cars of its era.
According to a copy of the original Porsche Kardex, this 911 S – chassis 307975S – was completed in April 1967. Destined for delivery in Switzerland, this car was equipped with a long list of rare factory options, including a sunroof, rear window wiper, tinted glass, heated rear window, fog lamps, Blaupunkt Köln radio, passenger headrest, and Dunlop SP Tires. Generously equipped and finished in the attractive color scheme of Hellelfenbein (Light Ivory) with black vinyl upholstery, the new 911 S was sold through VW/Porsche Salzburg to Bernhard Blank of Zürich, Switzerland.
Well known among marque aficionados, Herr Blank was one of Porsche’s earliest patrons. In 1947, he loaned Rupprecht von Senger 50,000 Swiss francs to place orders with Ferdinand Porsche for the company’s first completed automobiles. In 1948, Herr Blank encouraged Porsche to hire Swiss coachbuilders Ernst and Fritz Beutler to develop their cabriolet model. Later that year, Herr Blank became the official Swiss distributor for Porsche and, in March 1949, he presented a Gmünd coupe and a Beutler cabriolet at the Geneva Motor Salon.
Evidently, this 911 remained in Europe until the mid-1980s, when it was sold to Michael Taradash of Riverside, Connecticut. As noted in documents in the car’s file, Porsche AG performed a mechanical overhaul and cosmetic restoration on the 911 between 1984 and 1986, refinishing the car in Irish Green with tan leather upholstery.
In August 1986, the Porsche was shipped from Germany to the US, and in December, Mr. Taradash sold the car to John Roe of New York City. When Mr. Roe purchased a new car in 1989, the Porsche was garaged in the Hamptons and retired from road use in the early 1990s. It has not run since.
Recently discovered after two decades of static storage, the Porsche is presented today as a remarkable garage find. Offered with its tool roll, jack, owner’s manual, and service books, the 911 is further accompanied by an impressive file of documentation.
This first-year 911 S, with its matching-numbers engine, fascinating connection to Bernhard Blank, and desirable factory options, is an exciting project that is sure to attract interest from Porsche enthusiasts the world over.