Auctions and Brokerage
Coachwork by Mulliner Park Ward
When Charles Rolls met Henry Royce in the Midland hotel in Manchester on May 4, 1904, Rolls had a successful car agency, while Royce already had a working prototype. Deciding to go into business together, the company they formed rapidly built a reputation for quality and luxury. This 1976 Corniche Coupe benefits from a striking two-tone finish of Silver Sand over Nutmeg Brown, showing its distinctive, swooping waistline to best effect.
Delivered by Park Ward Motors of Illinois on May 12, 1977, and sold new to Dr. M. Avella, of Union City, New Jersey, this Corniche Coupe is an impressively presented example and a desirable variant of the Corniche line. Due to the Coupe’s build quality, it is arguably one of the finest luxury cars ever made. The two-tone paint shows very well and inside the sumptuous tan leather seats with dark brown piping present in remarkable condition. The consignor, a longtime connoisseur of Rolls-Royce, commented that this is the most graceful, best-preserved Corniche Coupe he has seen.
Chassis 26154 is supplied with its original handbooks, warranty document, Schoellkopf Card, build sheets, and a complete tool kit. A modern CD changer is currently fitted below the Blaupunkt Frankfurt radio.
This Corniche is a sharp example of a particularly elegant car, and as such is worthy of careful scrutiny by any collector who appreciates the pinnacle of hand-built luxury and craftsmanship.