2022 | Pebble Beach Auctions
1958 Lancia Aurelia B24S Cabriolet
Coachwork by Pinin Farina
$400,000 - $500,000
One of Just 521 B24S Aurelia Cabriolets Built
Bought New by a Father for His Son While He Studied at Harvard University
In Single Ownership of an East Coast Lancia Enthusiast for 34 Years
Benefits from a Recent, Documented Restoration by Marque Expert Thornley Kelham Ltd. at a Cost of £280,000
Retains Original Engine and Transaxle per Lancia Classiche Certificate
Offered with Rare Pinin Farina Hardtop
2,451 CC OHV Alloy V-6 Engine
Single Weber 40 DCZ Carburetor
118 BHP at 5,300 RPM
4-Speed Manual Transaxle
4-Wheel Drum Brakes, Rear Inboard
Front Independent Sliding-Pillar Suspension
Rear De Dion Axle with Leaf Springs and Panhard Rod
Please note that this vehicle is titled 1959.
Combining an elegant Pinin Farina design and groundbreaking Lancia underpinnings, the B24S Aurelia Cabriolet is one of the outstanding vehicles of the 1950s. When the Cabriolet entered production in 1956, the Aurelia model had benefited from six years of subtle development. Considered the first production car fitted with a V-6 engine, the model had been introduced at the 1950 Torino Motor Show. It also featured a sophisticated chassis and four-speed transaxle.
The Aurelia was originally available from the factory as a four-door berlina or two-door coupe, while specialist carrozzeria were supplied with rolling chassis, ready for more extravagant bodywork to be fitted. That changed in 1955, when the B24S Aurelia Spider was introduced. Also known as the Spider America, it was the first Lancia available with left-hand drive and boasted a Pinin Farina-designed roadster body. Aimed at the North American market, it was equipped with little in the way of weather protection. This was addressed the following year when Lancia replaced the Spider with the B24S Aurelia Cabriolet. It used the same 2.4-liter, 118 bhp evolution of the V-6 engine and very similar styling. Among the distinguishing features were full-width bumpers, a more substantial windshield, roll-up side windows, and a proper folding top. Between 1956 and 1958, Lancia built just 521 Cabriolets before the Aurelia was replaced by the Flaminia.
As confirmed by the Lancia Classiche Certificate issued in February 2019, this US-specification B24S Aurelia Cabriolet was completed on August 30, 1958, finished in Grigio Chiaro (Light Gray) with a Pelle Rosso (Red Leather) interior. The car is believed to have been bought new by a father for his son, who was attending Harvard University at the time. The Aurelia was eventually acquired in 1983 by an East Coast collector with a penchant for Lancias, and he kept the Aurelia for 34 years, preserving its largely original condition.
Later painted black, it was bought by the consignor in 2017, who decided to entrust the Cabriolet to noted British marque experts, Thornley Kelham Ltd., for a no-expense-spared restoration. Between August 2018 and September 2021, the car was returned to its show-quality standards configuration at an expense of over £280,000. Over 100 pages of invoicing, as well as many photos of the restoration process, accompany the car at auction.
Benefiting from a stunning restoration at the hands of a leading Lancia expert, and retaining its original engine and transaxle, as well as a rare Pinin Farina fitted hardtop this B24S Aurelia Cabriolet may well be one of the best in the world today, ready to be enjoyed by a new custodian.